Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Primary Activity  (Read 1196 times)

Offline clevername0321

• 1st Kit
Primary Activity
« on: December 09, 2017, 08:54:34 am »
Ok, so just made a simple mosaic IPA a bit on the heavy side with a OG of 1.056, using WLP001, I made a starter of course to get count up and pitched on 12-2, It is now 12-9 and I am still seeing bubbling out of air lock approximately every 5-10 min.  First 48 activity was very heavy and I had to put a blowoff hose on it to keep up. Still a ton of krausen on top.  I have never had a beer this active after the first 48, my question is, is this a bad thing at all?
Amateur All Grain Guy.

Offline deadpoetic0077

• Assistant Brewer
  • Noobie
Re: Primary Activity
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2017, 08:59:57 am »
it could be residual CO2 coming out of solution, especially when its that slow between bubbles. if I were you, I would take a gravity reading and taste the sample to ensure no infection if that is what you are worried about

Offline clevername0321

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2017, 09:31:21 am »
it could be residual CO2 coming out of solution, especially when its that slow between bubbles. if I were you, I would take a gravity reading and taste the sample to ensure no infection if that is what you are worried about

Smell is fine, I was just a bit concerned when i had to swap out overflowing airlock for a fresh one that some of the spillover that had collected on the bung fell back down into the carboy and wasn't sure if it get any unwanted bacteria, wild yeast in it.  I will get a reading once it slows down.  I aerated it well and pitched a very active starter in there so maybe it is just really doing it's job.
Amateur All Grain Guy.

Offline deadpoetic0077

• Assistant Brewer
  • Noobie
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2017, 11:38:17 am »

Smell is fine, I was just a bit concerned when i had to swap out overflowing airlock for a fresh one that some of the spillover that had collected on the bung fell back down into the carboy and wasn't sure if it get any unwanted bacteria, wild yeast in it.  I will get a reading once it slows down.  I aerated it well and pitched a very active starter in there so maybe it is just really doing it's job.

seems like it would more than likely be OK. if it looks OK, smells OK, and was just super active at the start, you probably don't have anything to worry about.

RDWHAHB

Offline flars

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2017, 02:22:05 pm »

Seven days is too early to worry about anything.  Take another SG reading in another week.  What temperature was the fermentation held at for the first 3 to 4 days?  Blow off can be from a too warm fermentation or too little head space in the fermentor.

The krausen that fell back in was on the inside the fermentor so that should not be a problem.