Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: cacao nibs and vodka  (Read 2535 times)

Offline deadpoetic0077

• Assistant Brewer
  • Noobie
cacao nibs and vodka
« on: December 09, 2017, 07:37:23 am »
Good Morning!

Im making a stout that will have cacao nibs added after fermentation.

About a week ago, I noticed fermentation slowing significantly. I went ahead and made the tincture of cacao nibs and vodka to soak. I know this is typically something that is done for only a couple of days, but its taking much longer than expected to finish fermenting, and I have bumped the temp up and am letting it free rise now to help finish fermenting.

Is it OK to leave the cacao nibs in the vodka that long? will it extract bad flavors if left to sit for too long or is it ok? Its been sitting in my fridge soaking.

Thanks!

Offline ethinson

• Brewmaster
  • Why is the beer always gone?
    • River Pirate Brewing Co.
Re: cacao nibs and vodka
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2017, 07:50:56 am »
In my experience it should be fine.  I'm pretty sure I soaked mine for two weeks or more.  I don't know enough about cocoa to know if it has bitter tannins or anything like that (caffeine can be bitter) so I'd imagine it'd be OK.
SE Portland - AKA Beervana
Captain and Chief Deck Swabber - River Pirate Brewing Co.
Certified BJCP Beer Judge
2015 Oregon Brew Crew Member of the Year

Offline deadpoetic0077

• Assistant Brewer
  • Noobie
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2017, 08:12:47 am »
In my experience it should be fine.  I'm pretty sure I soaked mine for two weeks or more.  I don't know enough about cocoa to know if it has bitter tannins or anything like that (caffeine can be bitter) so I'd imagine it'd be OK.

That's exactly what I was worrying would happen. glad to hear you have had good experience.

Offline TeeDubb

• Assistant Brewer
  • San Jose, CA
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2017, 12:48:00 pm »
I have a chocolate stout recipe that I make once a year around this time and I used to use cocoa nibs to get a bit more chocolate flavor.  I have experimented with soaking the nibs in vodka and I felt that any more than 4-5 days results in some astringency when added to the beer.  This would fade over 1-2 months but still not a great effect.  This year I adjusted the grain bill and was able to omit the nibs altogether and still get the desired chocolate aroma and flavor without the cocoa.

One other tip: if you use the cocoa tincture, stick it in the freezer for a few hours and skim off any fat that may come out of the nibs to help with head retention.

Offline watai0102

• 1st Kit
    • Shut off valve and Ball valve manufacturers from Vatacvalves.com
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2017, 07:45:14 pm »
I have a chocolate stout recipe that I make once a year around this time and I used to use cocoa nibs to get a bit more chocolate flavor.  I have experimented with soaking the nibs in vodka and I felt that any more than 4-5 days results in some astringency when added to the beer.  This would fade over 1-2 months but still not a great effect.  This year I adjusted the grain bill and was able to omit the nibs altogether and still get the desired chocolate aroma and flavor without the cocoa.

One other tip: if you use the cocoa tincture, stick it in the freezer for a few hours and skim off any fat that may come out of the nibs to help with head retention.

Great share