Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Blending Tips  (Read 835 times)

Offline CVas

• 1st Kit
  • Master of my domain
Blending Tips
« on: December 12, 2017, 11:46:09 am »
Hi All,

I have an Imperial Irish Stout that has been sitting in a 5 gallon bourbon barrel since March of this year. For context, this is the second batch of beer that has been put into the barrel, but I have a feeling that it will be over-oaked and maybe a little hot from the bourbon. So I just brewed the same Stout recipe and I plan on blending this new Stout with the one in the barrel.

I have never blended anything before, so I looking for any tips, tricks, or insight that may help this go smoothly and produce the best tasting beer. Also should I be worried about the yeast being dead (I plan on bottle conditioning) and should I add any champagne yeast or will the fresh beer have enough to condition?

Any advice would be much appreciated. Cheers!
"Its not a lie, if you believe it."

-George Costanza

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
Re: Blending Tips
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2017, 02:25:38 pm »
You should taste the bourbon stout before blending at all.  See how it tastes.  You might change your mind.

The yeast is indeed dead.  You will need to pitch a small yeast starter along with your priming sugar.  Then it will carbonate just fine.  Without fresh yeast, it probably would never carbonate.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline santoch

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Riverview, FL
Re: Blending Tips
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2017, 10:18:51 pm »
+1 on everything Dave said.  I would add that should you want to blend, do it in a series of glasses and measure how much of each you put in.  then taste them side by side and see which ratio you like best.  Then, back it off 1 or 2 levels (so you are using less of the more powerful one), and that's the actual ratio to use. I've come to accept that there's something about scaling to a full batch that makes a little of the powerful flavor go a longer way than you though.  (This technique applies to adding anything to a beer, such as vanilla, fruit extracts, spices, etc.)
Looking for a club near my new house
BJCP GM3/Mead Judge