Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Switching careers to brew?  (Read 4468 times)

Offline rollingstonebadger

• 1st Kit
Switching careers to brew?
« on: December 12, 2017, 03:11:20 pm »
So a bit ago some guys I'm Facebook friends with messaged me (went to college with them, not close friends) about being the brewer for a brewpub they want to start up. I like brewing, but I've got a full time job making an above average income at a hospital laboratory. So these future partners also have no brewing experience (red flag) but are more business inclined. I told them I can't work full time there.

Am I making a wise decision? I told them I can do part time, or maybe just be a consultant or something.

From my experience being is brewer be a full time gig, and I don't plan on bailing on my career. Sorry I don't  have specs on the size of their proposed system. I'm guessing 8 barrels, so brewing would be approx once a week.

Is it realistic to be their brewer AND work full time at my regular job?

Offline RC

• Brewmaster
Re: Switching careers to brew?
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2017, 06:21:56 pm »

Resoundingly no.

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Switching careers to brew?
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2017, 06:36:50 pm »
Risk vs reward.

I think if you ask most brewers if they love what they do they would say yes. I also think if you ask them if they make an “above average income” in the beginning they’d say no. If your income is equal to your and your family’s security it would be a tough gap to fill. However, if your significant other makes enough to cover expenses plus you have a rainy day fund (~6 months expenses) you may be able to follow your dream. ...if that is your dream.

Likewise, you have been asked by some guys to enter into a lifestyle and they may not see eye to eye with you. If that is the case and a business decision goes south you may end up odd man out. Going into business with someone is like getting married. You gotta have mutual interests, common intent, complimentary ideas, a pre-nup, a damn good lawyer, etc.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: December 12, 2017, 06:47:59 pm by BrewBama »

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2017, 05:26:22 am »

Resoundingly no.

Do you like free time? Are you married? Do you have kids? If the answer is "yes" to any of those then there is "no way."

Offline rollingstonebadger

• 1st Kit
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2017, 06:34:26 am »
Yeah, sounds like it'd be too much to handle. It was nice being asked, but in this case the negatives outweigh the positives. I don't have kids yet but I do like my free time and my job is secure. Also, I'd be just as happy to keep brewing as a hobby.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2017, 09:46:09 am »

Resoundingly no.

THIS^^^
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline boulderbrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2017, 07:15:47 pm »
I vote No, I'm sure with your credentials you would be wasting your earning potential by doing this. as a side with time constraints might work.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2017, 10:12:37 pm »
I vote No, I'm sure with your credentials you would be wasting your earning potential by doing this. as a side with time constraints might work.
You have two strong no votes from guys running breweries.  :)
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline speed

• Brewer
  • Thedford nebraska
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2017, 03:43:07 pm »
I would have to jump in and agree with the majority. NO

Offline el_capitan

• Brewer
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2017, 05:00:43 pm »
I am in a similar position - some friends opened a brewery and they do most of the brewing themselves.  I got hired as their RND brewer.  I brew 10-gallon batches of new beers to refine recipes before ramping them up to the 7 bbl system.  You might be able to arrange something similar with your friends.  However, I would not give up an established professional career on a gamble.  What I like about my arrangement is that I'm able to brew on a professional level and still maintain my regular career as a teacher. 

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2017, 05:15:59 am »
This sounds exactly like "Bro!!!! let's get the band back together!" to me.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Offline James K

• Brewer
  • Flagstaff, AZ
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2018, 10:51:52 pm »
I would stick more on the consulting side if you can. There is only one part time brewer at the brewery I work at and she happens to be more full time at another brewery in town.

At best I think you could give recommendations on the side of system they may want or even recipes.

All the brewers where I work are full time. Shifts starting at 4am going into the afternoon.

To me there is no real part time “brewer” unless you want to be the guy who comes in to wash kegs periodically.
Vice President of Flagstaff Mountain-Top Mashers
2017 Homebrewer of the year
"One mouth doesn't taste the beer."

Offline Adam

• Cellarman
    • High Altitude Home Brew Supply
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2018, 11:28:10 am »
Don't forget that brewing is not only about making wort.  Fermentation must be monitored, transfers need to be done carefully and by trained hands, kegs need to be filled, tanks need to be cleaned and maintained.  If you can consult with this company and maybe play around on their system and help with fermentation issues that sounds like a blast.  If you are limited to brewing on saturdays and working the week at your real job then your beer may not be what you imagined it to be on brew day.

Fermentation at Elevation

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2018, 08:19:40 am »
Don't forget that brewing is not only about making wort.  Fermentation must be monitored, transfers need to be done carefully and by trained hands, kegs need to be filled, tanks need to be cleaned and maintained.  If you can consult with this company and maybe play around on their system and help with fermentation issues that sounds like a blast.  If you are limited to brewing on saturdays and working the week at your real job then your beer may not be what you imagined it to be on brew day.

Good point. Managing fermentation is a huge part of the job.

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2018, 09:30:08 am »
Why destroy your perfectly good hobby by making it a profession?
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks