Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Brain fart American Amber Hefeweizen  (Read 1600 times)

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Brain fart American Amber Hefeweizen
« on: December 15, 2017, 07:38:07 am »
So I was making side by side batches last Saturday and inadvertently pitched American Hefeweizen yeast that I intended for a Prickly Pear Wheat Ale into a Denny’s Rye IPA.  The two fermenters were side by side and I was tired - what can I say?

Should I proceed to dry hop this concoction?  Thankfully the wheat ale is proceeding nicely with the incorrect yeast that was setup for the RyeIPA.  That will get the prickly pear syrup in the secondary fermenter and probably turn out just fine.

Gotta love this hobby....
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline Frankenbrew

• Brewmaster
Re: Brain fart American Amber Hefeweizen
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2017, 08:04:46 am »
So I was making side by side batches last Saturday and inadvertently pitched American Hefeweizen yeast that I intended for a Prickly Pear Wheat Ale into a Denny’s Rye IPA.  The two fermenters were side by side and I was tired - what can I say?

Should I proceed to dry hop this concoction?  Thankfully the wheat ale is proceeding nicely with the incorrect yeast that was setup for the RyeIPA.  That will get the prickly pear syrup in the secondary fermenter and probably turn out just fine.

Gotta love this hobby....

Maybe you could leave the dry hops out and re-name it a dunkelRYEIPAzen.
Frank C.

And thereof comes the proverb: 'Blessing of your
heart, you brew good ale.'

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2017, 10:15:42 am »
Did you go ahead and ferment the Rye IPA at lower temp as if you had used chico or such? If so I assume that the hef yeast won't express the clove/banana very much and maybe other than being cloudy it might come out close enough so go ahead and dry hop.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2017, 11:55:15 am »
Yea, Midwest winter basement temps - low to mid 60's.  I will definitely taste a sample when its done chugging along, but I thought I would submit the question to hear from the troops on the dry hopping....

Offline santoch

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Riverview, FL
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2017, 10:09:38 pm »
Word has it that AMERICAN Hefe yeast is essentially a Kolsch yeast, and you wouldn't have had any bananana nor clove even if you pitched correctly.  I've used WhiteLabs American Hefe yeast, and the beers turn out like Widmer or Pyramid.

You can ferment both cool and you'll still have 2 nice beers.  Nothing wrong with dry hopping as planned.  You may actually find it to be a happy accident.
Looking for a club near my new house
BJCP GM3/Mead Judge

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2017, 06:05:57 am »
Word has it that AMERICAN Hefe yeast is essentially a Kolsch yeast, and you wouldn't have had any bananana nor clove even if you pitched correctly.  I've used WhiteLabs American Hefe yeast, and the beers turn out like Widmer or Pyramid.

You can ferment both cool and you'll still have 2 nice beers.  Nothing wrong with dry hopping as planned.  You may actually find it to be a happy accident.
This is exactly what I was thinking.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2017, 10:44:19 am »
Excellent - that is where I am heading...thanks for the seal of approval.