Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: WB-06 finishing sour in wheat beers  (Read 9488 times)

Offline captain_sousie

• Cellarman
  • I am the Stig's Fat American Cousin
WB-06 finishing sour in wheat beers
« on: June 01, 2012, 10:02:31 pm »
Hi all,

On my last 3 wheat beers I brewed with Safbrew WB-06 they all have finished really sour and stayed that way.  It's not an infected sour and the beers I brew alongside with us-05 all finish normally.  I have had to use kits recently because I have absolutely no time between work and work.  1 was a dunkelweizen from the beer nut in Salt Lake City, the other 2 were standard weiss kits from the same store.  I followed standard procedure, for a partial boil, cooled with a chiller and put them in a fridge with the temp controller set to 62.  I then kegged and all three were just sort of sour.  Almost tannin sour. As I said before, pale ales in the fridge right beside them fermented perfectly. 

Any ideas?
Sou
Eagles may soar but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

rabeb25

Re: WB-06 finishing sour in wheat beers
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2012, 06:49:22 am »
Nothing other than the fact, I have a hefe on tap that was fermented at 62f(my standard procedure). I could not figure out why it was so tart, even with a maltier than normal grain bill. Its definitely not my favorite. Reading your post made me realize it was made with wb06(normally I am a hefe iv guy, but the yeast was old and I didn't have time to make a starter)...

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
WB-06 finishing sour in wheat beers
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2012, 09:18:40 am »
I have never had great results with that strain. Stick with liquid strain.

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2012, 01:19:53 pm »
I get some tartness from some weizen strains. I don't think WB-06 is all that tart, but it's more tart than none-at-all. I also like to lacto-ferment part of my wheat beers, though, so my tartness scale is probably a lot different than yours. 
In der Kürze liegt die Würze.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2012, 09:12:16 am »
Really? I think it is very tart. Just don't enjoy the results from that yeast, and the tartness is part of my dissatisfaction.

rabeb25

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2012, 01:57:19 pm »
Really? I think it is very tart. Just don't enjoy the results from that yeast, and the tartness is part of my dissatisfaction.

Ditto to that, it took my steller 40 point hefe to bleh.

Offline captain_sousie

• Cellarman
  • I am the Stig's Fat American Cousin
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2012, 06:47:03 pm »
Well, I was afraid of that.  I'll just have to wait to brew a weiss until I have my vacation time.

Thanks,
Sou
Eagles may soar but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

Offline Jeff

• 1st Kit
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2017, 08:28:59 pm »
Brewed the same recipe with Wyeast 3068 with Safale 06 recently and the 06 is way more tart. Both were fermented at 72F through 2 weeks. Loved the results with the 3068. Not so much the 06. Sour candy without the sweet? Maybe a bit much, but so far not a fan.

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2017, 06:15:40 am »
I just did a yeast experiment with WB-06 vs. 3638.  Bottled just 3 days ago.  At bottling, upon tasting samples, the primary differences were that WB-06 had a distinct tartness, plus some odd red apple ester that I personally do not enjoy.  3638 definitely won this battle.  More details provided on the NB forum:

http://forum.northernbrewer.com/t/wb-06-vs-wyeast-3638-results-are-in/25326
« Last Edit: December 16, 2017, 06:28:18 am by dmtaylor »
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

The Beerery

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2017, 07:40:25 am »
Two things.  Holy god there is still an NB forum!?!?

Did you take finishing pH’s?  Is tart lower pH or something else?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2017, 08:11:32 am »
Two things.  Holy god there is still an NB forum!?!?

Did you take finishing pH’s?  Is tart lower pH or something else?

The NB forum is even more dead than the AHA forum.  But yeah, both still exist.

Tartness is in the taste.  I have not taken pH, but could do so later.  It was easily detectable tasting side-by-side against the other beer fermented with the identical wort under identical conditions but with Wyeast 3638 (which had no odd tartness at all).  FWIW, my taste buds are BJCP-Certified, and I sure as hell know tartness when I taste it.

EDIT: The tartness is similar to Lacto.  But I'm pretty sure it's not Lacto.  It's not THAT sour.  Not yet anyway.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2017, 08:14:40 am by dmtaylor »
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

The Beerery

« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2017, 08:56:30 am »
Yup not doubting the flavor you are experiencing, just trying to see if it’s an acid thing, or just some twang.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2017, 10:04:23 am »
Time will tell.  Should know more in a few weeks.
Dave

Offline James K

• Brewer
  • Flagstaff, AZ
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2017, 02:22:29 pm »
Brewed the same recipe with Wyeast 3068 with Safale 06 recently and the 06 is way more tart. Both were fermented at 72F through 2 weeks. Loved the results with the 3068. Not so much the 06. Sour candy without the sweet? Maybe a bit much, but so far not a fan.
Hi all,

On my last 3 wheat beers I brewed with Safbrew WB-06 they all have finished really sour and stayed that way.  It's not an infected sour and the beers I brew alongside with us-05 all finish normally.  I have had to use kits recently because I have absolutely no time between work and work.  1 was a dunkelweizen from the beer nut in Salt Lake City, the other 2 were standard weiss kits from the same store.  I followed standard procedure, for a partial boil, cooled with a chiller and put them in a fridge with the temp controller set to 62.  I then kegged and all three were just sort of sour.  Almost tannin sour. As I said before, pale ales in the fridge right beside them fermented perfectly. 

Any ideas?
Sou

Does anyone think temperatures have do deal with the amount/level of tartness this strain gives off? I just finished a röggenbier and used this strain.  Much more clove phenol than banana is what I ended up with and I fermented in the lower end, around 62*. Personally I enjoyed the tartness with the rye, I have never brewed with a Hefeweizen strain until this beer.
Vice President of Flagstaff Mountain-Top Mashers
2017 Homebrewer of the year
"One mouth doesn't taste the beer."

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2017, 02:57:03 pm »
Does anyone think temperatures have do deal with the amount/level of tartness this strain gives off? I just finished a röggenbier and used this strain.  Much more clove phenol than banana is what I ended up with and I fermented in the lower end, around 62*. Personally I enjoyed the tartness with the rye, I have never brewed with a Hefeweizen strain until this beer.

Nope, I don't think it's a temperature thing.  I fermented some at 60 F and some at 70 F, and both came out tart.
Dave