Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Does Brewtan B spoil?  (Read 1293 times)

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
    • The new Mayfair Court Brewhouse
Does Brewtan B spoil?
« on: December 24, 2017, 11:07:55 pm »
I bought some BTB which came in its plastic package and after opening it I just closed it and put a clip on it.  I feel like the early beers I made with it had a much better "smooth" character and I'm now getting to the end of that bag of BTB and feel like some of these latest beers are not quite the same?  Should this stuff be sealed up well?  Refrigerated?  I may have Joe Formanek's email so I should probably ask him.  Cheers.
Ken from Chicago. 
A day without beer is like... just kidding, I have no idea.

Offline BitterItDown

• Cellarman
Re: Does Brewtan B spoil?
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2017, 11:52:49 am »
From the Brewtan B instructions:

STORAGE AND HANDLING
Brewtan B does not require special storage conditions and has a shelf life of min. 5 years if stored in a dry area in its original closed packaging. The product is not frost sensitive and normal ambient storage temperatures (i.e. 5 - 25°C) suffice.
Prolonged exposure of Brewtan B to light can cause a gradual colour shift. This does not influence technical performance of the product unless colour is a critical parameter in the application. Storage of Brewtan B open to the atmosphere can result in moisture uptake from the surroundings. Therefore reseal the inner plastic bag and keep the lid on the fibre drum if Brewtan B is not in use.
Due to its granular form Brewtan B produces little or no dust during handling.

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
    • The new Mayfair Court Brewhouse
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2017, 09:09:40 pm »
Thanks BitterItDown.

I did email Joe F. and he replied (at 8am on Christmas morning!  Thanks Joe).  His response was similar and he said that you could seal it up and keep it at room temp, in the fridge or freezer with no issues.  He did say that it should not get wet.  I feel like my bag here did not get wet but there WERE some small hardened clumps in the bag.  I started using it in June of 2016 so this stuff is 18 months old... far less than the 5 year shelf life.  Anyway, I took the one unopened package I have and put it into three small plastic bottles with tight-fitting lids so I could store it better.  Cheers peeps.
Ken from Chicago. 
A day without beer is like... just kidding, I have no idea.

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2017, 05:05:06 pm »
Thanks BitterItDown.

I did email Joe F. and he replied (at 8am on Christmas morning!  Thanks Joe).  His response was similar and he said that you could seal it up and keep it at room temp, in the fridge or freezer with no issues.  He did say that it should not get wet.  I feel like my bag here did not get wet but there WERE some small hardened clumps in the bag.  I started using it in June of 2016 so this stuff is 18 months old... far less than the 5 year shelf life.  Anyway, I took the one unopened package I have and put it into three small plastic bottles with tight-fitting lids so I could store it better.  Cheers peeps.

Yup. I just store mine in its original package sealed up tightly with a rubberband and then stored in a sealed mason jar. No issues.