Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Late hopping characteristics  (Read 901 times)

Offline jc24

• Cellarman
Late hopping characteristics
« on: December 17, 2017, 03:51:18 am »
Just wondering if anyone has experimented with different boil times for late hop additions and has drawn some general conclusions about differences in flavour, aroma and stability (longevity) of aroma for different times? I'm interested particularly in differences between 10, 5 and 0 min additions. I'm guessing that the later the addition, the more initial aroma you get, but it perhaps doesn't stick around very long? Also assuming that different hops behave differently, but are there some generalisations we can make?

And of course flowing on from that, what are brewers hoping to achieve when they make 20, 15, 10, 5, 1 and 0 min. additions? Part of me thinks that it just makes us feel like we're creating complexity because we're complicating the process :-) What would be difference be in an IPA using the above hop schedule, vs. just doing 20min and 0 min additions?

Offline dls5492

• Brewer
David S.
Cedar Falls, IA
Club: Cedar River Association of Zymurgy Enthusiasts (CRAZE)

And the Lord is the Spirit; and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty. II Cor. 3:17

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Late hopping characteristics
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2017, 05:45:33 am »
I'm guessing that the later the addition, the more initial aroma you get, but it perhaps doesn't stick around very long?

That's my experience.  In fact I find really late additions may not survive fermentation.  I've taken to making just two additions, 45 minutes and 15.  My understanding is that a certain amount of boil time is needed to oxidize the hop oils to soluble form, and 15 seems to do it for me.  After that, might as well dry hop. That of course is fugitive too but won't be scrubbed out by fermentation.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.