Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Molded clumps in my grain sack  (Read 1796 times)

Offline JFMBearcat

• Cellarman
Molded clumps in my grain sack
« on: December 19, 2017, 07:14:26 am »
Hi all - I excitedly tore into a sack new sack of Crisp Maris Otter to dump into my airtight buckets for long term storage. As I was pouring them I noticed some thick clumps pouring out with the grain. I inspected further and they were green/yellow moldy clumps of grain - about 7 of them - golf ball size or smaller. I sifted them out and have the rest of the grain stored in my buckets. Should I be trashing this grain? The rest of the grain looked perfectly fine. I have never had this happen so I wanted to see if I should scrap it all and buy a new sack or not. Thanks!

I can post pictures if needed.
James Miller
Cincinnati OH
Bloatarian Brewing League
BJCP B1408

Offline Bob357

• Brewmaster
  • Consensus means nothing to me. I am who I am.
Re: Molded clumps in my grain sack
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2017, 08:56:11 am »
I wouldn't take any chances. Dump it. Some molds are really bad news.
Beer is my bucket list,

Bob357
Fallon, NV

Offline Andy Farke

• Brewer
  • Homebrewing Paleontologist
    • Andy's Brewing Blog
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2017, 10:40:44 pm »
Second on dumping it. Even if you pulled the clumps, there will likely be mold in the non-clumped stuff that will in the best case give a nasty flavor to the beer. I would contact your supplier and see about a refund if you can.
Facebook: Farke Brewing

Offline Ellismr

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2017, 02:54:53 am »
Second on dumping.  Mold spores can spread everywhere.  If it is contaminated you don’t want that going through your mill.  I suspect that it also has a different smell to it.  How long did you have the sack before opening it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Brew what you like & brew often.

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2017, 05:33:15 am »
Malt and grain are covered with all sorts of bacteria and mold. It's foolish to think that the problem is fixed by throwing out that sack and buying another.

I'm guessing that the sack had a few drops of water fall on it and that's all it takes to enable organisms to take off and grow. I would remove those clumps and use as normal. However, I'd make sure that the malt is still crisp and flavorful. If the grains have become soggy or stale tasting, then it's ruined and out it goes.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline Andy Farke

• Brewer
  • Homebrewing Paleontologist
    • Andy's Brewing Blog
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2017, 07:54:07 am »
Malt and grain are covered with all sorts of bacteria and mold. It's foolish to think that the problem is fixed by throwing out that sack and buying another.

My suggestion to toss was because *visibly* moldy grain is out of the ordinary, and can have a pretty pervasive flavor and aroma (having grown up on a farm that raised and stored various grains, I still have an aversion to the possibility of mold; that stuff smells pretty foul!).
Facebook: Farke Brewing

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2017, 07:54:39 am »

I'm guessing that the sack had a few drops of water fall on it and that's all it takes to enable organisms to take off and grow. I would remove those clumps and use as normal. However, I'd make sure that the malt is still crisp and flavorful. If the grains have become soggy or stale tasting, then it's ruined and out it goes.
I agree with Martin.  It doesn't take much moisture to make moldy clumps, but if the rest of the grain is soft I would toss it.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995