Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Using sodium, Gose style  (Read 1296 times)

Offline James K

• Brewer
  • Flagstaff, AZ
Using sodium, Gose style
« on: December 19, 2017, 01:41:27 pm »
I have never made a Gose and am going to attempt. From what I read so far sodium is a key component but I have not read when to add the ingredient. Is it best to add at bottling or during the end of the boil? I will not be bottling this beer. Are some salts better than others ?

I am planning a 90m mash and acid mashing at 45m. That’s what the only Gose recipe on AHA has, but I am tweaking the grain build.

My main question is the salt addition as well as the type, kosher?
Vice President of Flagstaff Mountain-Top Mashers
2017 Homebrewer of the year
"One mouth doesn't taste the beer."

Offline riceral

• Brewer
Re: Using sodium, Gose style
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2017, 04:29:05 pm »
Most table salt that you buy in grocery stores contain iodine. I'm not sure how much or whether iodine would make a difference but I would spend the extra money and buy something other than table salt. I've seen recipes with sea salt, pink Himalayan and some other types. But never table salt.

Disclaimer---never brewed a gose
Ralph R.

Offline James K

• Brewer
  • Flagstaff, AZ
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2017, 04:33:56 pm »
Most table salt that you buy in grocery stores contain iodine. I'm not sure how much or whether iodine would make a difference but I would spend the extra money and buy something other than table salt. I've seen recipes with sea salt, pink Himalayan and some other types. But never table salt.

Disclaimer---never brewed a gose

Yea that’s where I’m at, never planned on table salt. Don’t really care if it’s pink as long as it doesn’t eff the beer up. I said kosher because I know that’s what’s in Otra Vez. But dogfish has a sea salt as well.
Vice President of Flagstaff Mountain-Top Mashers
2017 Homebrewer of the year
"One mouth doesn't taste the beer."

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2017, 05:14:15 pm »
I don't know much about Gose, but salt I know.  You don't want iodine or anti caking agents, just pure salt.  And despite the histrionics of foodies, no matter the source, when it gets to you salt is salt is salt.  NaCl.  The only difference is crystal size and shape.   This may be of aesthetic importance in some applications, but you just want a pure, fine crystal that dissolves readily.  That's what pickling salt is. 
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.