Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: How do you properly dissolve calcium carbonate?  (Read 8792 times)

Offline syncopadence

• Assistant Brewer
How do you properly dissolve calcium carbonate?
« on: December 19, 2017, 07:30:06 pm »
I've heard the acidity of the mash will partially dissolve it, but not completely. Curious if anyone uses a specific method, or know of any successful methods?

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: How do you properly dissolve calcium carbonate?
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2017, 07:53:53 pm »
Short answer, you don't.   John Palmer and Colin Kaminski's book on water has a good explanation of the problems with calcium carbonate.  Really easy to get out of water. Really hard to get in.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2017, 07:56:48 pm »
It's somewhat easy by pressurizing the water and chalk under CO2. The carbonic acid will dissolve the chalk in a couple of days.

This is just an illustration of why its not worth it to use chalk in brewing.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline syncopadence

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2017, 08:26:07 pm »
It's somewhat easy by pressurizing the water and chalk under CO2. The carbonic acid will dissolve the chalk in a couple of days.

This is just an illustration of why its not worth it to use chalk in brewing.
Yeah for the most part I've stayed away from it for this reason, but the calcium and bicarbonate come in handy because I build my water from RO. I don't mind preparing the chalk in advance, as long as there is no othet downside than prep time. I've heard improperly dissolved chalk can kill malt flavor. Have you found this to be true? Would you say there are any other negatives to using chalk?
Thanks for your response, Martin.

Offline syncopadence

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2017, 08:27:53 pm »
Short answer, you don't.   John Palmer and Colin Kaminski's book on water has a good explanation of the problems with calcium carbonate.  Really easy to get out of water. Really hard to get in.
Will it come out of solution once dissolved? How long would it take?

Offline Robert

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2017, 08:50:47 pm »
Will it come out of solution once dissolved? How long would it take?

I'm not a real expert like Martin, but I'd expect it would be prone to coming back out.  Say you go to the trouble of dissolving chalk under high partial pressure of CO2.  Just dropping the pressure will bring some out.  The drop from line pressure to atmospheric pressure is what gets you that buildup of scale around a faucet.  It's that tenuous in solution.  Not worth the effort.  Need calcium?  There's chloride and sulfate.  And if you need alkalinity, you just need alkalinity, not bicarbonate.  You can kill two birds with one stone by using calcium hydroxide (pickling lime) or get bicarbonate from baking soda. I know Martin will weigh in.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline blatz

• Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2017, 07:36:38 am »
as Robert mentioned, just use pickling lime.  I build from RO also, and its much, much easier.  I switched a few years ago.  The remaining bag of chalk that I have was repurposed to the garage for use on my hands in weightlifting  ;D.
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline syncopadence

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2017, 01:30:05 pm »
as Robert mentioned, just use pickling lime.  I build from RO also, and its much, much easier.  I switched a few years ago.  The remaining bag of chalk that I have was repurposed to the garage for use on my hands in weightlifting  ;D.
Never used pickling lime. Anything special I should know about it? Preparation, solubility, etc? Or is it as easy to use as something like gypsum?

Offline blatz

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2017, 02:11:17 pm »
Yes in my experience it's about in between gypsum and cacl in terms of solubility.  I usually measure out my salts, pull off a quart or two of water from the hlt as it's heating and mix the salts in to that smaller amount and then put that back into the hlt, likely having to rinse the mixing vessel into the hlt once or twice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

Offline Robert

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2017, 02:14:46 pm »
Never used pickling lime. Anything special I should know about it? Preparation, solubility, etc? Or is it as easy to use as something like gypsum?

Dissolves readily.  The figures I have are that 1g/gal. adds 143ppm Ca++ and adds 355ppm to total alkalinity (as  121ppm OH-), so delta RA = +255ppm.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2017, 05:57:45 am »

It's readily soluble when its pure. The problem is that lime (in the presence of moisture in the air) can degrade to chalk. So you can't really rely on obtaining all the alkalinity that you think you're adding when using lime.  The only way to fully assure that you're getting all the alkalinity that you want, is to create a saturated lime solution and add that (as a liquid) to your mash. That is a somewhat involved calculation and its on my to do list for Bru'n Water.

You can check for the presence of chalk in your lime by putting a drop of acid on some of your lime. If it bubbles, there is chalk in there. 
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline Robert

« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2017, 06:09:45 am »

It's readily soluble when its pure. The problem is that lime (in the presence of moisture in the air) can degrade to chalk. So you can't really rely on obtaining all the alkalinity that you think you're adding when using lime.  The only way to fully assure that you're getting all the alkalinity that you want, is to create a saturated lime solution and add that (as a liquid) to your mash. That is a somewhat involved calculation and its on my to do list for Bru'n Water.

You can check for the presence of chalk in your lime by putting a drop of acid on some of your lime. If it bubbles, there is chalk in there.
It may not be perfect, but I have a simple routine.  Whenever I buy a new supply of, say, pickling lime or calcium chloride, or when I worry they may have been exposed to moisture in the air over time, I make a solution at the rate of 1g/gal. in water of known (pre-tested or DI) composition, then test the Ca and total alkalinity of the solution.  Recent pack of picking lime I bought was spot on.  See any problem with this procedure?
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline blatz

« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2017, 06:59:50 am »
The only way to fully assure that you're getting all the alkalinity that you want, is to create a saturated lime solution and add that (as a liquid) to your mash.

I always thought you advised us to add our salts to water (i.e. in HLT) rather than directly to the mash so that its assured to be evenly distributed?

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2017, 08:38:39 am »

Learn something every day.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline syncopadence

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2017, 09:51:38 am »

How do you make a saturated lime solution? Also, I saw in the Water book you should add it straight tothe mash. Seems there's a difference of opinion?