Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: French toast Porter - BJCP category?  (Read 998 times)

Offline JFMBearcat

• Cellarman
French toast Porter - BJCP category?
« on: December 21, 2017, 09:48:45 pm »
So I brewed an American porter and flavored with french toast extract. It's absolutely delicious and I'd like to enter it in a competition using 2015 guidelines in early February.

My question is, which category to enter this in?

It's nothing but a standard American porter flavored with about 1 tbsp high quality french toast extract. Maple syrup, vanilla and fresh french toast batter are the dominant flavors.

Just want to make sure to enter in the right category, thanks!
James Miller
Cincinnati OH
Bloatarian Brewing League
BJCP B1408

Offline ethinson

• Brewmaster
  • Why is the beer always gone?
    • River Pirate Brewing Co.
Re: French toast Porter - BJCP category?
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2017, 09:56:26 am »
I don't know if using the flavor extract would make a difference, but if you used the actual ingredients (vanilla, maple syrup) that would go into Spice Herb Veg (30 A) so based on the flavor profile that's where it would fit, but I think this might be the first time I see one that's an honest to God Experimental Beer (34A).  It doesn't *exactly* fit into SHV because you aren't using actual spices. 

"As the number of Specialty-type categories is quite large, most beers are expected to be entered somewhere else unless there is something quite unusual or unique about them.

Sounds like you might have something unique.  Since it's a generic catch all category you'll have to be very explicit in what you tell the judges.. something like "American Porter (20A) flavored with French Toast extract, evoking flavors of french toast batter, vanilla and maple syrup."
SE Portland - AKA Beervana
Captain and Chief Deck Swabber - River Pirate Brewing Co.
Certified BJCP Beer Judge
2015 Oregon Brew Crew Member of the Year

Offline JFMBearcat

• Cellarman
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2017, 08:58:22 pm »
Thank you! I will enter it in that. I agree since there are no spice additions it cannot be entered in SHV. That was part of my dilemma. We'll see what happens, who knows what other styles they'll pair it with.
James Miller
Cincinnati OH
BJCP B1408

Online Lazy Ant Brewing

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2017, 04:52:57 am »
Where did you source the French Toast extract? I might want to try that.

Thanks 
It's easier to read brewing books and get information from the forum than to sacrifice virgins to appease the brewing gods when bad beer happens!

Offline JFMBearcat

• Cellarman
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2017, 07:40:16 pm »
http://www.apexflavors.com/Beverage-Industry/Craft-Brewing

The entire list is there. I've had about 6 so far and they're just fantastic. This is the same company the Duclaw buys their peanut butter chocolate reese cup extract for Sweet Baby Jesus. Loved them all that I've had. Very high quality stuff.
James Miller
Cincinnati OH
BJCP B1408