Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Fermentation temps  (Read 1186 times)

Offline James K

• Brewer
  • Flagstaff, AZ
Fermentation temps
« on: December 24, 2017, 04:20:11 pm »
Hi all, happy holidays.
Today I brewed an experimental beer with built up dregs.  The bottles had 3711 yeast Brett b and the Belgian sour mix pack.  I pitched the yeast earlier today and am playing around with fermentation on this sour mixed culture beer.
I crashed the beer down to 78* after boiling and my carboy read 72* after i transferred over and when I pitched, this was verified by a temp probe in the carboy. The yeast starter was at room temp (64*) and I have since turned the temp up using a heat wrap on the temp controller to 75* (the high side of 3711). 
I have never had this level of sophistication in temp control before and was wondering about outcome related to warming or possibly cooling the fermentation.
The fermentation has not taken off yet and I am curious about raising the temp into the 80s when primary starts to slow down. 
Thoughts and opinions welcome.
Vice President of Flagstaff Mountain-Top Mashers
2017 Homebrewer of the year
"One mouth doesn't taste the beer."

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
Re: Fermentation temps
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2017, 05:16:40 am »
Brett can be a slow starter, and once it's going can be less obvious than sac. It might be going in other words. Are you seeing a pelicle yet? Brett pelicle is usually big dusty bubbles.

Offline James K

• Brewer
  • Flagstaff, AZ
Re: Fermentation temps
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2018, 10:16:29 pm »
Brett can be a slow starter, and once it's going can be less obvious than sac. It might be going in other words. Are you seeing a pelicle yet? Brett pelicle is usually big dusty bubbles.

Right now I am not. I taste the beer when I just transferred it into secondary, it had a Brett character. I did not taste any real sour or tartness.

Not sure what’s going to happen, never read any gravity. Just going for a fun experiment. It’s probably going to sit in secondary for 6-8 months. Before I bottle it.

I ended up cranking it to 80 and it slowed down a lot a few days later. Now it is sitting at 68* because I need the heat wrap for an IPA. I think it should be fine and bacteria will still be working too.
No pelicle. One formed on both the beers the dregs came from.
Vice President of Flagstaff Mountain-Top Mashers
2017 Homebrewer of the year
"One mouth doesn't taste the beer."