Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Yeast count  (Read 1670 times)

Offline jc24

• Cellarman
Yeast count
« on: December 27, 2017, 06:40:08 am »
Has anyone with the necessary equipment done a yeast count on starters prepared to both Beersmith's and Mr. Malty's specs? There's a big discrepancy between the two, and I'd been keen to hear if anyone has actually measured the resulting yeast count for the specified starter volumes...

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
Re: Yeast count
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2017, 06:42:02 am »
I have two microscopes.  However I have not used them to count yeasts.  How much pitch rate really matters is a matter I am still testing but more recently becoming more skeptical of.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2017, 10:46:21 am »
I have two microscopes.  However I have not used them to count yeasts.  How much pitch rate really matters is a matter I am still testing but more recently becoming more skeptical of.

I've totally gone to vitality starters, which means I don't care too much about cell count.  I'm getting results at least as good as when I used yeast calculators and stir plates.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2017, 12:15:13 pm »
I go by volume of slurry, at a consistent density, pitched.  I don't know actual cell counts, but I know what works from experience, and am able to get consistent and repeatable results.  With no more expensive equipment than mason jars and a measuring cup!
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2017, 06:04:29 pm »
I do cell counts regularly in a commercial setting. I have found MrMalty.com to be pretty accurate if your yeast is healthy and viability is high.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2017, 06:26:21 pm »
I go by volume of slurry, at a consistent density, pitched.  I don't know actual cell counts, but I know what works from experience, and am able to get consistent and repeatable results.  With no more expensive equipment than mason jars and a measuring cup!

And that is actually the most important part. Getting the consistent results you want.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2017, 10:44:47 pm »

I've totally gone to vitality starters, which means I don't care too much about cell count.  I'm getting results at least as good as when I used yeast calculators and stir plates.
Ding ding ding!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2017, 06:56:14 am »
Do a web search on “shaken, not stirred” starters, which are pitched at high Krausen.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!