Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Splitting Wort Before Boil  (Read 1573 times)

Offline GRIMREAPER

• Cellarman
Splitting Wort Before Boil
« on: December 25, 2017, 09:29:32 pm »
I normally make 5 gallon batches.  Thinking about splitting the wort before boil to use half for a NEIPA with some hops at flame out, then hopstand at 180 then add hops 3 days into fermentation then dry hop. It came out magical last time as a full batch.  Then the other half in another pot use bittering hops at 60 then the same types of hops on my "normal" IPA schedule, hops at 10 minutes and after 14 days in the fermenter dry hop for a week. 

My main concern is will i boil off too much when boiling smaller batches?  Have never tried small batch before.  Am i wrong to assume the 60 minute boil i am used to using stays the same with 2.5 gallons in the pots?  Maybe keep them covered so it can't boil it all away?  Or add more water planning on it boiling down?   Of course it is entirely possible i am just paranoid (but that doesn't mean no one is following me).

Any input appreciated.  Thanks in advance. 

Offline Bob357

• Brewmaster
  • Consensus means nothing to me. I am who I am.
Re: Splitting Wort Before Boil
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2017, 03:22:54 am »
If you're boiling in the same pot you use for larger batches I'd expect each of the smaller batches to boil off very close to the same volume as the larger ones do. In my experience surface area is almost a constant when estimating boil off volume.
Beer is my bucket list,

Bob357
Fallon, NV

Offline GRIMREAPER

• Cellarman
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2018, 06:22:00 pm »
Just FYI..the 10 gallon pot boiled down more than the 5 gallon one.  Probably about 1/4 gallon difference after both started with 3 gallons.

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2018, 06:41:10 pm »
If you're boiling in the same pot you use for larger batches I'd expect each of the smaller batches to boil off very close to the same volume as the larger ones do. In my experience surface area is almost a constant when estimating boil off volume.
You mean it's not surface area/volume?
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline GRIMREAPER

• Cellarman
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2018, 07:18:06 pm »
I think i mean it IS surface area.  the 10 gal pot has a larger surface area and it did boil down more.

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2018, 07:19:36 pm »
I think i mean it IS surface area.  the 10 gal pot has a larger surface area and it did boil down more.
Got it. Brain fart.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.