Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Purging hops  (Read 1460 times)

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
Purging hops
« on: December 28, 2017, 08:48:32 pm »
Not what you think. I only use pellets, and I vacuum pack and store in the freezer. It's time to purge my freezer so I can get some fresh stuff, we'll, because I feel like it. So here comes an IPA! I don't brew very many but all the pod casts I've heard lately have me jonesing.

97% Golden Promise
3% Carahell, because I like it. It's become my secret sauce in almost everything not dark.

30 grams Chinook at FWH
50 grams each of Vic Secret, Simcoe, Centennial, and Mosaic at 160f whirlpool for 20

50 grams of those 4 in fermentor at day 4. Seeking the mythical bio-transformation

50 grams of those 4 in fermentor at my first FG sampling.

Crash but No gell, keg and go.

To my calculation, that's a bunch. Like 7lbs per bbl. Double the amount in the AHA PTE clone recipe.

Am I going to die? Lose feeling in my toes? Will I need a SCBA to be near this beer?

Thoughts?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Purging hops
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2017, 09:06:19 pm »
Hey Jim, not a direct response, but a question.  I've always heard that pellets, once opened up (from the nitro-purged 1# packs) deteriorated even faster than whole cone.  So I used to buy whole in bulk and vac seal and freeze, but when I succumbed to pellets I just started buying by the oz. at LHBS.  Have you found any real problem with long term storage if you break 'em down and vacuum seal the pellets? This could be life changing. ;)
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2017, 09:37:27 pm »
Absolutely not. They come in one pound Mylar, straight to my freezer. I open and measure out what I need, then throw mylar and all info a foodsaver bag and vacuum seal. Back to freezer. I'm not noticing any deterioration in quality up to two years. Of course, this is personal experience subjective, and not scientific proof. I'm not sure you could prove it, since 2 yr old hops are not the same crop as brand new stuff.

In short, buy in pounds and vacuum pack. You'll love it. It's a way of life

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2017, 09:03:35 am »
Absolutely not. They come in one pound Mylar, straight to my freezer. I open and measure out what I need, then throw mylar and all info a foodsaver bag and vacuum seal. Back to freezer. I'm not noticing any deterioration in quality up to two years. Of course, this is personal experience subjective, and not scientific proof. I'm not sure you could prove it, since 2 yr old hops are not the same crop as brand new stuff.

In short, buy in pounds and vacuum pack. You'll love it. It's a way of life

Same experience here. I buy in bulk, vacuum seal, and have good luck with 2 year old hops (that are kept frozen and vacuum sealed).
Jon H.

Offline Robert

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2017, 11:48:26 am »
Cool.  I switched to pellets just because cones were getting so hard to find in good quality and variety (market forces I guess) but I've happily adapted over a couple of years. Not buying in bulk, I found it kinda nice to have room for, say, actual food in my freezer, but pellets don't take much space!  I'll have to order me some!
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2017, 12:17:38 pm »
Cool.  I switched to pellets just because cones were getting so hard to find in good quality and variety (market forces I guess) but I've happily adapted over a couple of years. Not buying in bulk, I found it kinda nice to have room for, say, actual food in my freezer, but pellets don't take much space!  I'll have to order me some!

Cryo hops will save you even more space, but the varieties you need may not be available.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Robert

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2017, 12:42:11 pm »
Thanks guys but I notice I caused a derailment.  Will Jim die of lupulin toxicity?!
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2017, 12:52:23 am »
It's ok.