Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Dry hopping and gelatin  (Read 3241 times)

Offline petermmitchell

• Cellarman
Dry hopping and gelatin
« on: December 10, 2017, 07:30:54 am »
I haven’t used gelatin in ipas yet due to fear of reducing hop flavor etc.  However thinking about trying it after more research.  Could anyone comment on which method below they recommend for a process?

Dry hop after fermented completely in primary, then cold crash, add gelatin and keg - so no keg hops but dry hopping occurs at a warmer temperature

After fermented completely, cold crash and add gelatin, then dry hop in keg at serving temperature - this way all yeast is removed prior to dry hopping

Some other variations?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
Re: Dry hopping and gelatin
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2017, 08:31:36 am »
Use option 2.  I've done option 1 and it dropped out a ton of hop character.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2017, 03:22:56 pm »
Gelatin will clear the beer. ...but it’s kinda like using a bazooka to kill a fly. It will take everything with it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline RC

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2017, 08:10:21 pm »
I've done it both ways but have always gotten more hop character with dry hopping warm, pre-cold crash/pre-fining. In my experience, dry hopping at warmer temps will extract more hoppiness than at cooler temps, and fining doesn't strip out as much hoppiness as many believe. The net result is that I've gotten more hop goodness from option 1. Happy hopping!

Offline Chas

• 1st Kit
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2017, 03:28:18 pm »
I haven’t used gelatin in ipas yet due to fear of reducing hop flavor etc.  However thinking about trying it after more research.  Could anyone comment on which method below they recommend for a process?

Dry hop after fermented completely in primary, then cold crash, add gelatin and keg - so no keg hops but dry hopping occurs at a warmer temperature

After fermented completely, cold crash and add gelatin, then dry hop in keg at serving temperature - this way all yeast is removed prior to dry hopping

Some other variations?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I feel like I do notice a noticeable difference when I do it. I have always done it option #1. I have cut back on doing it because of that reason. That being said, on a side note, it helped redeem a beer I made this past summer (Sculpin clone) that had way too much onion flavor (I think from the Amarillo). I actually put it in the keg itself because I was desperate and it absolutely changed it and stripped it of that onion flavor. A minor beer miracle!

Offline petermmitchell

• Cellarman
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2017, 08:08:36 am »
Thanks for the advice.  I think I am going to actually try both methods together.  So I'll dry hop in primary at warmer temps, then crash with gelatin and then plan to dry hop in the keg at cooler temps as well.  Figure the dry hopping in the keg will help replace anything the gelatin strips out.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2017, 03:37:44 pm »
Too bad you can't do all 3 side by side. No gel, gel after hops, and gel before hops.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk