Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Carbonation lid for corny  (Read 4071 times)

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Carbonation lid for corny
« on: December 27, 2017, 06:30:37 pm »
Just ordered this:

Carbonation Keg Lid,Ferroday Stainless Steel Carbonation lid With 0.5 Micron Diffusion Air Stone https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M335AXA/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_GEerAbAPK8X48

It's an idea I've long had and (living under a rock?) I just found out they really exist.  Anyone have experience with such a thing?  Pros, cons, comments?   (Seems a lot more, shall we say, elegant than the Quick Carb from Blichman Overengineering.)
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline Kevin

• Brewmaster
  • Great beer. Less work. More fun.
Re: Carbonation lid for corny
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2017, 11:27:25 am »
Just ordered this:

Carbonation Keg Lid,Ferroday Stainless Steel Carbonation lid With 0.5 Micron Diffusion Air Stone https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M335AXA/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_GEerAbAPK8X48

It's an idea I've long had and (living under a rock?) I just found out they really exist.  Anyone have experience with such a thing?  Pros, cons, comments?   (Seems a lot more, shall we say, elegant than the Quick Carb from Blichman Overengineering.)

I'm not an adherent to the whole "quick carb" idea. Honestly, If I need beer asap there is a party store on the corner. Even the beers meant to be served mild are conditioned long enough to carbonate at serving pressure. To me this is a solution to a problem that doesn't exist.
“He was a wise man who invented beer.”
- Plato

Offline Robert

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2017, 01:01:22 pm »
I should clarify. I've always been a crank-and-shake guy, but parts of me are getting a bit old for shaking kegs.  I've put a stone on a tube on the gas in, but discovered that it causes gas breakout in the keg when dispensing (by the end all your hop resins are in dried foam on the sides of the keg) hence my interest in having a third post.  I'm just wondering if anyone has tried this particular product and has found out anything I need to know.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2017, 04:58:38 am »
I figure normal force carbing is much faster than waiting for bottles to naturally carbonate, so thats my rush job. I wouldn't fast ferment so why rush it. Skip the stone and be slightly more patient

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2017, 09:34:55 am »
Just ordered this:

You are going to love it. I made one out of some spare parts last year and it works great. Also, don't worry about the "quick carb" naysayers. There is absolutely nothing wrong with carbbing your beer quickly. It doesn't change anything except for how long you have to wait to drink your beer!

Offline Robert

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2017, 11:41:55 am »
Just ordered this:

You are going to love it. I made one out of some spare parts last year and it works great. Also, don't worry about the "quick carb" naysayers. There is absolutely nothing wrong with carbbing your beer quickly. It doesn't change anything except for how long you have to wait to drink your beer!
Thanks.  I wanted to make one but couldn't figure out a good way to drill a lid and fit a post.  I was just worried whether the stone might be prone to blowing off the hose or something.
I'm not interested in "slow carbing" because to my mind, when the beer is done fermenting and lagering, and is transferred off the yeast, it's ready to drink--no longer ageing, just getting old.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2017, 03:10:51 pm »
Just ordered this:

Thanks.  I wanted to make one but couldn't figure out a good way to drill a lid and fit a post.  I was just worried whether the stone might be prone to blowing off the hose or something.
I'm not interested in "slow carbing" because to my mind, when the beer is done fermenting and lagering, and is transferred off the yeast, it's ready to drink--no longer ageing, just getting old.

Yeah, when the beer is ready to drink it is ready to be carbbed. There is no benefit to "slow carbbing" unless it is simply to exercise patience .

The Beerery

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2018, 06:34:23 am »
Or you can spund and the beer will be carbed, when it is finished fermenting, hows that for fast?. Without any added oxidation to boot!  ;)
« Last Edit: September 07, 2018, 06:40:47 am by The Beerery »

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2018, 06:35:03 am »
I was never satisfied with my set it and forget it or burst carb techniques so I put the ‘Bling’man Quick Carb on my wish list. Based on reviews it works as advertised and having more control over the process interests me.  We’ll see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If you already have a pump you can build your own quick carb cheap.

Check out this video: https://youtu.be/OxLazijjgpU

PS. I knew this video was legit when I saw that beer belly poking out from behind that glaring white t-shirt.

- formerly alestateyall.

Offline MNWayne

• Brewer
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2018, 07:03:40 am »
How much time are you really saving? My guess is not much. Besides, it's just another thing to clean and sanitize.
Far better to dare mighty things....

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2018, 07:36:13 am »
Just ordered this:

Rob:

When I worked at Hoppin' Frog, we carbonated 10 barrels of beer in the brite tank in an hour or two, using a stone at the bottom of the tank.  So your new piece of equipment should work just fine.
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

Offline Robert

« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2018, 07:45:40 am »
How much time are you really saving? My guess is not much. Besides, it's just another thing to clean and sanitize.
Been using the carbonation lids now since January (~20 batches.)  Will never use another method.  A stone is indeed another thing to clean, but just one little thing.   Fill keg, set in keezer and put gas on carbonation post at serving pressure and temperature overnight.  Move gas to regular in post.  Done.  Don't bother with an overcomplicated  Quick Carb.  Don't guess at burst or crank and shake methods. Don't wait for beer to carb while it's otherwise ready for drinking. There are numerous manufacturers of these things.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2018, 07:48:22 am by Robert »
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline BrewBama

Carbonation lid for corny
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2018, 10:18:43 am »
Or you can spund and the beer will be carbed, when it is finished fermenting, hows that for fast?. Without any added oxidation to boot! 

Spunding was always a guessing game for me as well ...and I never quite got it. I either transferred to the spund Keg too soon (overcarbonating) or too late (undercarbing). Hence the desire for more control.

Oxygen uptake is always a concern. If I close transfer into a properly purged keg, purge a carbonation apparatus with CO2 (regardless of a keg lid or inline design) I figure I should be good.

I like this attitude:

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: September 07, 2018, 10:24:15 am by BrewBama »

The Beerery

« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2018, 10:39:06 am »
Or you can spund and the beer will be carbed, when it is finished fermenting, hows that for fast?. Without any added oxidation to boot! 

Spunding was always a guessing game for me as well ...and I never quite got it. I either transferred to the spund Keg too soon (overcarbonating) or too late (undercarbing). Hence the desire for more control.

Oxygen uptake is always a concern. If I close transfer into a properly purged keg, purge a carbonation apparatus with CO2 (regardless of a keg lid or inline design) I figure I should be good.

I like this attitude:

Moving beer (especially still) always has oxygen pickup, hell even leaving it sit in the fermenter does. But, If you are fine with that, I am too.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2018, 10:47:00 am by The Beerery »

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Bloatarian Brewing League - Cincinnati, OH
    • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2018, 07:36:59 pm »

I like this attitude:

How does spunding too early leave you overcarbed?  Doesn't the pressure relief setting take care of that problem?