Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Hitting Cruise Control  (Read 4578 times)

Offline tommymorris

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Hitting Cruise Control
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2017, 05:57:24 pm »
Cruise control is good!
« Last Edit: December 28, 2017, 06:14:50 pm by alestateyall »

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
Re: Hitting Cruise Control
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2017, 08:07:07 pm »
I've thoroughly enjoyed my recent break from brewing. With it, I've seen a change in why I want to brew.

When I started, I just wanted to learn everything I could about beer, and of course brew awesome stouts and IPAs. Now I find myself longing for styles that I can't find good examples of, namely authentic (or as authentic as possible here in the States) historical British milds, pale ales, and dry stouts.

That being said, Guinness is now dirt cheap in my area, and VERY fresh. I think they're ramping up efforts to keep the distributors moving good beer rather than old stale crap like we used to be stuck with, what with the new brewery opening up and all. With that comes a desire to wait till the weather is warmer to finish cleaning up the new (used) brewing gear...
« Last Edit: December 28, 2017, 08:10:40 pm by Phil_M »
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Bloatarian Brewing League - Cincinnati, OH
    • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2017, 08:30:54 pm »
Good topic Jim!  My philosophy:
Schedules are for work.   
Don't limit what I can learn by what I already know. 
Don't sweat the small stuff (hint: it's all small stuff). 
Try not to procrastinate (still getting around to this one). 

This has been a good brewing year for me.  I brew when I can which means I often end up not brewing for weeks or sometimes a month or two.  No biggie.  I try to do 2 batches on a brew day to offset this.  If I can't... Oh well!
I read more often than I brew.  I like to think that makes the brewing time more productive!
A goal this year was to brew more German styles and improve my German beers.  I've had a good run on 'em this year and have a new appreciation for the styles (which I already loved before). 
I've tried new things year, like competition. That was both fun and rewarding!

Keep it new, keep it fun! Cheers to all of you!

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."

Offline banjo-guy

• Assistant Brewer
Hitting Cruise Control
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2017, 07:59:16 am »
Thanks for this post.
I’ve been brewing for 5 years now and have recently been questioning why I spend the hours (mainly cleaning things) to make good beer when I can easily buy very good beer in my local supermarket.
   When I started brewing I didn’t actually like beer that much. I  enjoyed learning how to make beer and in the process discovered that I actually enjoyed drinking and exploring all of the styles available.
I’m at the stage now where I don’t feel the need to brew a new style just be able to say that I brewed it. I’m focusing on brewing two or three beers styles that I love and tweaking them until I’ve found a beer that I really like.
 Entering my first competition last year helped me stay motivated to brew.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: December 29, 2017, 08:33:46 am by banjo-guy »

Offline Ellismr

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2017, 04:24:35 am »
I’ve been brewing since 1997.  I’ve taken time off here and there mostly because of moving.  Part of what keeps me brewing is trying new things I read about.  I have my favorite styles and recipes and brew them to share with friends and family. 

I still have a couple styles I might still try but for the most part I still brew because I like my beer my way. 

Agree with the BJCP comments.  They keep the system organized & standardized. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Brew what you like & brew often.

Offline Robert

« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2017, 11:48:54 am »
So I just had the most relaxing and relaxed brew day (morning really) in a long time.  Kept it simple. Simple water locked in the pH (yeah I made the usual notes but maybe now I won't need to check things like that except for a totally new style.) Simple mash (153°F and mash off) gave a wort of superior quality and the usual yield.  Went back to FWH so I could walk away and forget about most of the boil. I actually think this might be the best beer I have made in a long time,  and most importantly, it was really fun again! Next stress reducer: I'm going to quit filtering my beer. Heck, I know it's clear and clean enough after lagering, I'm just wasting my time and stripping my beer.   I just cut an inch off the dip tubes in my lagering kegs and made a jumper from spare tubing and parts! Thanks to Jim for his original post.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2017, 12:23:47 pm by Robert »
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline BrewBama

Hitting Cruise Control
« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2017, 12:11:23 pm »
Before I began brewing again, I was REALLY into BBQ. I learned to de-stress and simplified that process, quit judging, and turned it to a very relaxed fun day. When I decided to begin brewing again (when AL legalized the activity) that mindset naturally transferred. I don’t add a bunch of BS, the simpler recipe the better, I don’t stress over exact temps or times or much else. Close enough is good enough.  ...and I have made some pretty good beer. Cheers!

“There is real science and math underneath what we do, but we don’t have to access it directly to be successful.”  Gordon Strong, Brewing Better Beer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: December 30, 2017, 05:34:41 pm by BrewBama »

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2017, 12:50:30 pm »
So I just had the most relaxing and relaxed brew day (morning really) in a long time.  Kept it simple. Simple water locked in the pH (yeah I made the usual notes but maybe now I won't need to check things like that except for a totally new style.) Simple mash (153°F and mash off) gave a wort of superior quality and the usual yield.  Went back to FWH so I could walk away and forget about most of the boil. I actually think this might be the best beer I have made in a long time,  and most importantly, it was really fun again! Next stress reducer: I'm going to quit filtering my beer. Heck, I know it's clear and clean enough after lagering, I'm just wasting my time and stripping my beer.   I just cut an inch off the dip tubes in my lagering kegs and made a jumper from spare tubing and parts! Thanks to Jim for his original post.
You are most welcome. We may end up with an Alice's Restaurant type movement here!

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2017, 12:58:36 pm »
You are most welcome. We may end up with an Alice's Restaurant type movement here!

Jim, are you up for relating the story you told me about your helles?
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline PORTERHAUS

• Brewer
  • NW Indiana
« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2017, 02:17:57 pm »
Great post and I find myself along the same lines at times. I have about a dozen ribbons/medals from comps and I haven't entered in a couple yrs and that might be all I ever have on my wall to show for it. But I have learned I really don't care what anyone else thinks of my beer. My beer is for me and a few close friends family that have the pleasure of drinking my efforts from time to time. There is no one to please but myself.
I have gotten a bit into auto pilot and that's fine but I have also learned what is important and what isnt within my brewing, my process and where to better focus  my effort.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2017, 03:03:25 pm »

Jim, are you up for relating the story you told me about your helles?
It's in here if someone wanted to dig. But sure...

Basically, a couple years back I devoted myself all winter to "perfecting" a Munich Helles. Chose that for difficulty level. I brewed it umpteen times, making improvements along the way. I employed the help of a couple Grand Masters. #1 and #2 in charge of BJCP Education. Following their suggestions after sampling beers I sent them. I sought out every authentic technique I could find and could do on my equipment, including step mashing on my direct fire recirculation mash tun, kettle acid, etc etc. After nearly depleting my will to live, I brewed one final iteration using my same ol same ol single infusion, no mash out, no kettle acid, bla bla bla... bottled up a couple bombers off my beer gun and hauled them to Seattle. After the friday night session of judging NHC Round One, I rounded up Randy Scorby, Steve Antoch, and Tedd Hausotter. Three guys who know beer in my opinion. They judged it in front of me after I convinced them I wanted their gut honest opinion. The average score was 42. The ding I remember was the slightest hint of sulfur. A few more days in primary would have bumped it closer to 45.

I'm all for pursuing the deep end of the pool. Go for it if you enjoy it. And maybe all the intense, advanced, complex, traditional techniques might get you a 43, or 45, maybe even a 50. Awesome! Go for it! I applaud you! But go easy on the rest of us. A thing you read in a book and tried once doesn't make you superior to anyone. It's not about being superior, at least not for me. 

I'm glad I put myself through it. But, for ME, and my time, my enjoyment, my whatever... simple methods make plenty good beer. Of all of the iterations of that helles, simple ruled the day enjoyment-wise, and score-wise.

I have not brewed that beer since. I do brew a slightly bigger slightly hoppier version that I love.

All of my other beers improved drastically after that exercise, but not because I use any complex method. I think it was just the experience.

For what it's worth.

Big Monk

« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2017, 06:39:30 pm »
At the end of the day, people should do what they enjoy and do it how they like.

I’m on a hiatus right now but not because of burnout. It’s more about not having all that much time with 2 kids running around to sacrifice a few hours on the weekend. I still keep up at our site, our forum, and revise our spreadsheet.

With that said, I’ll be retooling my rig up again here soon and getting going. Same process as always. Easy peasy.

Offline chinaski

• Brewmaster
« Reply #27 on: December 31, 2017, 01:02:17 pm »
Very good points made here- and a very good reminder of what its all about for each of us!

For all the great things that the internet provides, it also has provided a tremendously damaging yard stick for folks to measure aspects of themselves against others and lose the perspective that we all need.  This post is a nice reminder of that need.  As a parent of two young children I have found myself thinking about and talking about this often. 

Homebrewing is a microcosm of life?  Go figure...

Happy New Year everyone!

Offline santoch

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Riverview, FL
« Reply #28 on: December 31, 2017, 04:06:25 pm »

I have not brewed that beer since. I do brew a slightly bigger slightly hoppier version that I love.

All of my other beers improved drastically after that exercise, but not because I use any complex method. I think it was just the experience.

For what it's worth.

Feel free to send me another bottle when you do. :-)
 I (we) really loved that beer!  And thanks for the kind words.

FWIW, I'm in a drawdown stage too.  Haven't brewed much lately.  I have a cider still sitting in a keg conditioning, but that's it.  I don't frequent the forums as often either.  Just taking a bit of a break for now.
I know I'll get the itch again.

Steve

Looking for a club near my new house
BJCP GM3/Mead Judge

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #29 on: December 31, 2017, 04:23:26 pm »

For what it's worth.

Feel free to send me another bottle when you do. :-)
 I (we) really loved that beer!  And thanks for the kind words.

FWIW, I'm in a drawdown stage too.  Haven't brewed much lately.  I have a cider still sitting in a keg conditioning, but that's it.  I don't frequent the forums as often either.  Just taking a bit of a break for now.
I know I'll get the itch again.

Steve
Hey steve!!! Wait till that itch clears up before you brew, lol.