Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: New Year, whatcha getting, and other brewing chatter time kill  (Read 6150 times)

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
Re: New Year, whatcha getting, and other brewing chatter time kill
« Reply #30 on: December 31, 2017, 01:04:44 pm »
Actually I'm adding 2 new lazy brewer procedures. The other one is mash recirculation. I used to make an aluminum foil cap with slits in it, and place that on top of my mash. Then recirculation hose flows onto that. I was thinking channeling when I first started doing it, which is not an issue because I'm not fly soaring. But I just kept making them out of habit. Reading Martin's comment on another thread, that just running the hose into the top is fine and will reduce mash O2dation, I've decided to just do it.

Looking forward to not making the foil disk, and not fishing it out after runoff. And looking forward to even more amazing results from this low effort LODO technique.

Sorry to break it to you but that won’t do anything for ya!

A stepping stone maybe?
It's vorlauf. I think it will get my running somewhat more clear of grain bits than just dumping the whole thing into the boil. So there's that.

I'm an HSA denier, so actually the O2dation part is just to fit in. I realize it won't prevent HSA but I don't believe it exists anyway.

For the record Jim: I wasn’t trying to antagonize you. I recognized the humor I’m sure you intended and was only about 10% serious.
Awesome! You want to boil a third of your grain for an hour, but you don't want to boil just 3 bits of grain at all, ever.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #31 on: December 31, 2017, 03:05:39 pm »
Unsure of my boil off rate with these new burners, I added a new instrument. It's called a stick with a line on it at 6.25 gallons. The extra .25 is to account for boil expansion. Gladbi did because they started out with a crazy boil and I dialed it down just a smidge too much. 60 min measure showed I needed an extra few minutes to hit 6.25. Ain't science neat?

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #32 on: December 31, 2017, 03:21:47 pm »
Unsure of my boil off rate with these new burners, I added a new instrument. It's called a stick with a line on it at 6.25 gallons. The extra .25 is to account for boil expansion. Gladbi did because they started out with a crazy boil and I dialed it down just a smidge too much. 60 min measure showed I needed an extra few minutes to hit 6.25. Ain't science neat?
First thing when I get a new kettle, I take a piece of 1/2" PVC pipe and make a dip stick covering the range of any volume I might want to know.  They'd charge a lot more to put calibration marks inside your kettle -- and you'd have to stick your head in the boil to see them!
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #33 on: December 31, 2017, 03:33:02 pm »
First thing when I get a new kettle, I take a piece of 1/2" PVC pipe and make a dip stick covering the range of any volume I might want to know.  They'd charge a lot more to put calibration marks inside your kettle -- and you'd have to stick your head in the boil to see them!

Same thing I do.
Jon H.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #34 on: December 31, 2017, 03:35:26 pm »
I've had my old burners since my first all grain. They were so consistent I never bothered with measuring final boil volume. I was due probably.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #35 on: December 31, 2017, 04:02:57 pm »
Overshot my target OG. Wanted 1.060, got 1.062. Made my day! The brewing gods caused me to go out of style guidelines.

Offline Robert

« Reply #36 on: December 31, 2017, 04:11:11 pm »
Overshot my target OG. Wanted 1.060, got 1.062. Made my day! The brewing gods caused me to go out of style guidelines.
That's because in the true religion of the brewing gods, style guidelines are heretical books.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline BitterItDown

• Cellarman
« Reply #37 on: December 31, 2017, 04:36:03 pm »
You guys put way too much work into brewing, I'm down to 2 gallon 20 min boils - all DME w/ hopshots, fill with cold tap water, sprinkle in W34/70 and into the basement. Takes maybe an hour - tops, have to wait for it to boil ya know but maybe not even...  Award winning beer!  Seriously, try it! ;)

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #38 on: December 31, 2017, 04:37:36 pm »
Awesome!

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #39 on: January 01, 2018, 01:00:24 pm »
You ever get in such a routine that if one thing changes you drop the ball on something else? This happens to me frequently.

Yesterday I decided not to rack from BK to fermenter, but rather just pump it in as soon as I hit pitching temp. Well that meant not having to drag my auto siphon out and sanitize it in the fermenter. Usually I also put my O2 wand in there at the same time.

Well, I got all done brewing. Yeast pitched. Cleaning done. Brewery put away. Gear put away. Hey! My O2 wand is sitting in a keg of iodophor in the hobby room, where I put it that morning after oxygenating my yeast starters. Crap! I forgot to oxygenate my beers before pitching! It had only been an hour, so I just went out and oxygenated them post pitching.

Funny how changing one thing can disrupt the stuff you just do automatically.

If these turn out to be the best beers ever, do you think I will oxygenate post pitch from now on? Uh, yes!

Offline Robert

« Reply #40 on: January 01, 2018, 01:51:20 pm »
I bet you had enough agitation pumping over that there was some aeration,  the yeast would have got into that, and after only an hour were still in full O2-munching mode. Probably no effect from extending their breakfast a bit! Another reason to remember RDWHAHB.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #41 on: January 01, 2018, 05:08:47 pm »
Totally no worries

Offline mchrispen

• Brewmaster
    • Accidentalis Brewing Blog
« Reply #42 on: January 02, 2018, 10:33:35 am »
Jim, send me some stick flavored beer! Curious! :) Glad you are back at it man!

Matt Chrispen
Sometime Austin Zealot
Blogging from the garage @ accidentalis.com
>> Bru'n Water Spreadsheet Walkthroughs<<
>> Bru'n Water Subscriber Version 5.3 Spreadsheet Walkthrough <<

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #43 on: January 02, 2018, 10:49:14 am »
It's a magic stick. Well, magic marker stick. Hmmm, ethyl magicoate. I wonder what that will taste like

Offline Robert

« Reply #44 on: January 02, 2018, 11:01:23 am »
It's a magic stick. Well, magic marker stick. Hmmm, ethyl magicoate. I wonder what that will taste like
My dipstick is PVC and Sharpie.  Delicious!
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio