Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: AHA Guide to Kegging article  (Read 4575 times)

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
Re: AHA Guide to Kegging article
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2017, 10:21:23 pm »
Here's one (and only one, granted) bit of evidence: http://brulosophy.com/2016/12/19/post-fermentation-oxidation-pt-1-normal-vs-high-oxidation-exbeeriment-results/

I dig Brulosophy, but both beers were oxidized in that particular experiment.
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2017, 11:05:39 pm »
Here's one (and only one, granted) bit of evidence: http://brulosophy.com/2016/12/19/post-fermentation-oxidation-pt-1-normal-vs-high-oxidation-exbeeriment-results/

I dig Brulosophy, but both beers were oxidized in that particular experiment.
Yeah, comparing two wrong ways to keg a beer.  But still missing OP's point:  AHA providing factually incorrect information.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2017, 12:48:17 am »
Do you guys know if the author of the 22 year old Zymurgy article is an AHA employee? I don't know but I doubt it. I don't see how the AHA is responsible, anymore than how they would be responsible for wrong information being published on this forum, which they own. They meaning "us", if "we" are members of the AHA, which I am.

Relax! Or don't, whatever

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2017, 06:39:26 am »
Do you guys know if the author of the 22 year old Zymurgy article is an AHA employee? I don't know but I doubt it. I don't see how the AHA is responsible, anymore than how they would be responsible for wrong information being published on this forum, which they own. They meaning "us", if "we" are members of the AHA, which I am.

Relax! Or don't, whatever
No, he is not on the AHA staff.

You can find the AHA staff list here.
https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/membership/american-homebrewers-association-staff/
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Big Monk

« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2017, 07:11:33 am »
In this case it’s a bit wonky if the AHA is tweeting outdated information. It’s one thing to have outdated info on your site but to actively promote it is different.

Nothing to lose sleep over. Sounds like an AHA media relations problem rather than a world crisis.

Offline Robert

« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2017, 07:20:31 am »
In this case it’s a bit wonky if the AHA is tweeting outdated information. It’s one thing to have outdated info on your site but to actively promote it is different.

Nothing to lose sleep over. Sounds like an AHA media relations problem rather than a world crisis.
Agree.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2017, 07:22:09 am »

I do not believe CO2 will settle to the bottom of a vessel and create a blanket of gas under which a liquid can be racked. 

The laws of physics and chemistry contradict this. CO2 is heavier than O2, and so CO2 will settle to the bottom of the vessel and create a blanket of gas under which a liquid can be racked. Does this eliminate all O2 pickup? No. Gasses of different density will always mix a bit, especially at their interface. Which leads to another question: does it matter (at the homebrew level)? No, as long as one takes reasonable care to minimize O2 pickup while racking. Also, drink your homebrew fresh! (i.e., quickly, which has never been a problem in my house). I don't mean to start an O2 debate here, but oxygenation at the homebrew level is a colossally overblown non-issue. There seems to be an endless debate about the effect of O2 on homebrew, when really, there are so many other variables that matter far, far more. Here's one (and only one, granted) bit of evidence: http://brulosophy.com/2016/12/19/post-fermentation-oxidation-pt-1-normal-vs-high-oxidation-exbeeriment-results/

If your logic holds we would all be asphixiated from the CO2 pooling on the surface of the earth due to gravity. Convection currents in the atmosphere causes mixing of the gases. Then there is that law of physics and chemistry called Dalton’s law of partial pressures, which says the pressures of the individual gasses act independently, so that in a sealed container they will not be layered. That doesn’t happen instantly, so some pooling happens when you have a source. That is why confined spaces are a safety concern when sources of CO2 are present (breweries are an example). You will be asphyxiated by a concentration of about 10% CO2, so even then some O2 is present.

The take away is that if you just shoot some CO2 into the keg, there will be O2 left in the keg. After some time that CO2 and O2 will equilabrate in concentration, and there will not be a CO2 blanket. The Beer will be exposed to O2. The production standard for Total Packaged Oxygen in bottles or cans is less than 200 ppb, and better packaging lines attain <50 ppb. Yes, that is parts per billion.

I judge a fair amount. About 3/4 of the time in some styles I pick up oxidation in the entries. I’m not talking cardboard, but dull muddled malt flavor, hops that don’t pop (IPAs), sometimes honey aromas, and so on. Cardboard is the final stage of oxidation, and I agree I don’t get that often.

Homebrewers can brew how they wish. If your happy with your beer, that is great. I’m in the camp that wants to make the best beer I am able to.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2017, 08:46:42 am »

If your logic holds we would all be asphixiated from the CO2 pooling on the surface of the earth due to gravity. Convection currents in the atmosphere causes mixing of the gases. Then there is that law of physics and chemistry called Dalton’s law of partial pressures, which says the pressures of the individual gasses act independently, so that in a sealed container they will not be layered. That doesn’t happen instantly, so some pooling happens when you have a source. That is why confined spaces are a safety concern when sources of CO2 are present (breweries are an example). You will be asphyxiated by a concentration of about 10% CO2, so even then some O2 is present.

The take away is that if you just shoot some CO2 into the keg, there will be O2 left in the keg. After some time that CO2 and O2 will equilabrate in concentration, and there will not be a CO2 blanket. The Beer will be exposed to O2. The production standard for Total Packaged Oxygen in bottles or cans is less than 200 ppb, and better packaging lines attain <50 ppb. Yes, that is parts per billion.

I judge a fair amount. About 3/4 of the time in some styles I pick up oxidation in the entries. I’m not talking cardboard, but dull muddled malt flavor, hops that don’t pop (IPAs), sometimes honey aromas, and so on. Cardboard is the final stage of oxidation, and I agree I don’t get that often.

Homebrewers can brew how they wish. If your happy with your beer, that is great. I’m in the camp that wants to make the best beer I am able to.

Well said, Jeff. I want to make the best beer I can. I also realize people have different time
constraints/goals/approaches, so I couldn't care less who brews how.

Edit for grammar.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2017, 08:49:59 am by HoosierBrew »
Jon H.

Offline Robert

« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2017, 11:25:48 am »
The laws of physics work even when you're not watching.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline Richard

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2017, 01:19:53 pm »
Except in quantum mechanics, where the act of watching changes the system.
Original Gravity - that would be Newton's

Offline Robert

« Reply #25 on: December 31, 2017, 01:35:02 pm »
Except in quantum mechanics, where the act of watching changes the system.
I can't worry about quantum effects on my brewing.  Beer's kind of a macro thing.  So are gases. (And I'm not a physicist, but I'm skeptical about whether measuring really affects the system. Then again I'm skeptical in general lately.)
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline BrewBama

AHA Guide to Kegging article
« Reply #26 on: December 31, 2017, 01:53:30 pm »
I don’t think it’s the end of the world.  I simply asked for a review and a correction.  The information sent to me yesterday by what appears to be the AHA is inaccurate regardless of when written or whether written by an employee, a member, or not.  Not sure why this matters but I am a member and I stand by my original statement: the AHA should be the go-to source for homebrewers and therefore misinformation should be corrected.

Edit: now the article is on the AHA main website landing page.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: January 01, 2018, 07:01:43 pm by BrewBama »

Offline Robert

« Reply #27 on: December 31, 2017, 01:56:20 pm »
I don’t think it’s the end of the world.  I simply asked for a review and a correction.  The information sent to me yesterday by what appears to be the AHA is inaccurate regardless of when written or whether written by an employee, a member, or not.  Not sure why this matters but I am a member and I stand by my original statement: the AHA should be the go-to source for homebrewers and therefore misinformation should be corrected.

+1
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #28 on: December 31, 2017, 02:14:38 pm »

+1

+2
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #29 on: December 31, 2017, 02:16:08 pm »
You convinced me. I imagine they would be willing to update info when advised.