Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: WLP001 questions  (Read 1427 times)

Offline Kirk

• Cellarman
WLP001 questions
« on: December 31, 2017, 08:39:41 am »
I seem to be getting good attenuation when using WLP001 in my recent IPA's. OG is 1.051 and FG turned out 1.009. The problem is that I continue to get a somewhat of a unpleasant bitter taste, somewhat alcoholic.
For this last batch, I adjusted the grist and sparge water to ~ 5.2 at mash/sparge temps with Lattic Acid and Acid malt.

Fermentation temps was around 64-65 for the pitch, but naturally increased to around 68-70 during primary fermentation. WLP001 recommends a temp of 68-72, so I don't feel like I fermented too warm.

This particular batch was better than my last one, which had a more intense unpleasant bitterness/alcoholic taste. Opening the fermenter and smelling it also gave the aroma.

Anyone have experience with WLP001 and this problem? Or this off-flavor in general?
One thing I noticed is that despite a really thick Krausen during fermentation, the airlock wasn't moving. Is this trapping compounds that should be escaping through the airlock?
Additionally, I harvested this yeast from the previous batch, but I tasted it before adding it to this new batch. There was no noticeable alcoholic taste.

Offline twiggy2164

• 1st Kit
Re: WLP001 questions
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2017, 09:03:30 am »
How long are you waiting after reaching FG to keg/bottle? This could be part of the issue. Also, 68-70 is your ferm temp or that’s the ambient temp where the fermenter is kept?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Kirk

• Cellarman
Re: WLP001 questions
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2018, 07:44:39 am »
How long are you waiting after reaching FG to keg/bottle? This could be part of the issue. Also, 68-70 is your ferm temp or that’s the ambient temp where the fermenter is kept?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for your reply. My total primary fermentation has been about 9 days. Gravity was the same for about 2-3 days. I didn't taste any diacetyl problems. To be honest, I've always had some issues with the alcoholic taste after fermentation regardless of how long I've conditioned it.  The last IPA I made had a rather astringent taste to it, which I attributed to the mash / sparge pH being too high. This time, I adjusted those, which definitely has helped.

Also, I tasted this beer during primary fermentation. Everything was doing fine until the last couple of days, then I began to taste the alcoholic flavor. I've read other places that the vegatative material and trub can be quite bitter. During the high Krausen, this material appears on the surface due to the yeast being so active. Some of it sticks to the sides, but I a lot of it sinks back into the beer as the fermentation winds down. I wonder if this is some of the problem as well?

I appreciate your insights and Happy New Year!