Offline skyler

• Brewmaster
  • Hmm. Human music. I like it.
Dunkel
« on: December 31, 2017, 03:16:09 pm »
I want to do a Munich Dunkel and wondered how this looked to everyone:

60% Weyermann Munich II
18.5% Best Pilsner
15% Bohemian Dark Malt (essentially a 7L Munich)
3.7% Melanoidin Malt
2.8% Carafa Special II

1 oz Sterling @ 60 mins (16.6 IBUs)
.5 oz Sterling @ 20 mins (5 IBUs)

Hochkurz Mash (45 mins @ 144F and 45 mins @ 158F)

~1.052

M84 Bohemian Lager Slurry
« Last Edit: December 31, 2017, 03:21:57 pm by skyler »

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Dunkel
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2017, 03:37:48 pm »
I've been thinking about Dunkels lately too.  Yours looks similar to my approach in the past.  But I'm thinking the Pils really doesn't do anything, and I'm not sure I entirely like the contribution Melanoidin makes (or any caramel, for that matter) and I'm not sure it would do much at that % anyway.  I might skip those and fill out the space w/ more of the Bo Dark.  Love that malt.  Color would be about equal (what, ~16° SRM?) and the flavor would be straight up Munich.  Just kinda where I'm thinking I might go.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline skyler

• Brewmaster
  • Hmm. Human music. I like it.
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2017, 04:46:44 pm »
I've been thinking about Dunkels lately too.  Yours looks similar to my approach in the past.  But I'm thinking the Pils really doesn't do anything, and I'm not sure I entirely like the contribution Melanoidin makes (or any caramel, for that matter) and I'm not sure it would do much at that % anyway.  I might skip those and fill out the space w/ more of the Bo Dark.  Love that malt.  Color would be about equal (what, ~16° SRM?) and the flavor would be straight up Munich.  Just kinda where I'm thinking I might go.

It's about 16.6 SRM according to BeerSmith. The pilsner malt is to increase the enzymatic activity in the mash. I read several sources that indicated all-Munich recipes can under-attenuate due to a lack of enzymes. The melanoidin malt is, in part, to make up for the reduced amount of Munich malt. I am open to using more/less/none. I want to avoid using any caramel malt because I want to maximize crispness/dryness. I am also open to altering the hop bill, though Sterling is the only Noble-style hop I have in the freezer.

Offline Robert

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2017, 05:07:54 pm »
^^^^
Munich can easily be 100%of the grist.   I have put Pils in just because others used to just because of that concern...but fact is the enzyme capacity of Munich is right up there, it's a true base malt (European ones anyway.)  If Munich does underattenuate at all (doubtful) it would probably be because of the slight bit of caramelization it gets in the kiln. I wouldn't be afraid to go all Munich and Carafa. Mash for dryness.  Search for other threads on these boards on this, I recall seeing others are taking this approach and liking it.  Oh and for a secret sauce? To adjust color instead of Carafa  try Briess Midnight Wheat.  Huge color at 550L, and VERY little flavor contribution. Super smooth and not roasty at all. Debitterd black similar.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2017, 05:25:15 pm »
^^^^
Munich can easily be 100%of the grist.   I have put Pils in just because others used to just because of that concern...but fact is the enzyme capacity of Munich is right up there, it's a true base malt (European ones anyway.)  If Munich does underattenuate at all (doubtful) it would probably be because of the slight bit of caramelization it gets in the kiln. I wouldn't be afraid to go all Munich and Carafa. Mash for dryness.  Search for other threads on these boards on this, I recall seeing others are taking this approach and liking it.  Oh and for a secret sauce? To adjust color instead of Carafa  try Briess Midnight Wheat.  Huge color at 550L, and VERY little flavor contribution. Super smooth and not roasty at all. Debitterd black similar.

Sinamar works well here as well. Easy peasy.
Jon H.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2017, 05:28:51 pm »
The few dunks I've done have all fallen short. Too sweet, too carmeley, or too jagged. Until I brewed one all best malz dark munich with a touch of carafa 2 special for the color I thought I wanted. It was as close to a real dunk as I've come so far.

Offline Robert

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2017, 05:32:37 pm »
The few dunks I've done have all fallen short. Too sweet, too carmeley, or too jagged. Until I brewed one all best malz dark munich with a touch of carafa 2 special for the color I thought I wanted. It was as close to a real dunk as I've come so far.
The Carafa 2 SPECIAL is dehusked, right? So same idea, color without as much roast/bitter character.  That there is the ticket!
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2017, 06:00:40 pm »
Yup. Huskless

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2017, 09:11:04 pm »
I would leave out the Melanoidin malt and let the Munich malt shine as the star.
Dan Chisholm

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2017, 09:59:35 pm »
The Carafa 2 SPECIAL is dehusked, right? So same idea, color without as much roast/bitter character.  That there is the ticket!
About 40%of the husk remains after the dehusking. I like Midnight Wheat, as there is no husk.

Edit - add the Carafa at vorlauf to get the color and minimize the flavor. A German brewer told me that. ;-)
« Last Edit: December 31, 2017, 10:06:33 pm by hopfenundmalz »
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Online BrewBama

« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2018, 06:42:16 am »
The last Dunkel I brewed was 96% Munich 4% Carafa II. I added the Carafa in the mash and felt like it needed something so I was considering a small addition of Melanoidin. Adding at the vorlauf may do it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Andy Farke

• Brewer
  • Homebrewing Paleontologist
    • Andy's Brewing Blog
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2018, 12:55:20 pm »
The last Dunkel I brewed was 96% Munich 4% Carafa II. I added the Carafa in the mash and felt like it needed something so I was considering a small addition of Melanoidin. Adding at the vorlauf may do it.

I did one last year that was 93% Munich II, 4% Carafa Special II, and 3% melanoidin. One of the best beers I've ever made!

Recipe: https://andybrews.com/2017/02/11/dunkel-osteus/
and tasting results: https://andybrews.com/2017/05/30/beer-tasting-dunkel-osteus/
Facebook: Farke Brewing

Offline Robert

« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2018, 01:32:41 pm »
Really thinking about this for next brew day (couple of weeks):  ~98% Bohemian dark (have it on hand) and ~2% Midnight Wheat.  Morey says ~16°SRM.  I say rich, lightly toasted malt; maybe Tradition for the hops?  Hmm...

EDIT/QUESTION: Anybody think I might want to include some Munich 2? Yes/no, reasons?
« Last Edit: January 02, 2018, 08:19:52 am by Robert »
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio