Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: suggested fruit to add to blonde ale recipe  (Read 3056 times)

Offline billyboy

• 1st Kit
suggested fruit to add to blonde ale recipe
« on: December 24, 2017, 07:14:40 pm »
Hey guys, I'm new to the forum and just joined today. Just looking for a place to share and gather information with other brewers and this looks like the spot. I've been an ingredient kit brewer for a while, I started with 5-gallon kits a few years ago but moved towards 1-gallon kits because I like to brew small batches and enjoy more of a variety of beers.

I've read that brewing all grain over extract saves you a lot of money so I'm about to start doing just that. I'm thinking an all-grain belgian blonde would be a good start and I found a nice recipe here: https://www.beercraftr.com/1-gallon-blonde-ale-recipe/

I thought I would add some fruit to make this recipe a little more interesting. Any suggestions for fruit that goes well with belgian blondes? When is the best time to add fruit to a beer, do you add it in the brewing process or in the carboy before or at the end of fermintation? Maybe some blueberry, cherry, blackberry? Prefer something I can easily find frozen in a supermarket.

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
Re: suggested fruit to add to blonde ale recipe
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2017, 06:14:40 am »
Mmm... strawberry blonde.......
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2017, 07:38:22 pm »
Mmm... strawberry blonde.......
Bet that's way better than a bleach blonde

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2017, 07:45:55 pm »
All grain saves money? Just ask my wife, LOL!

My suggestion is brew that Belgian straight up first. Or split some off to fruit. But it's always good for the learning curve to see what your base beer is like.

Honestly, good Belgians are so good it's hard to pick a fruit that wouldn't take away from it. Maybe peach or apricot. I'd put them into a second fermenter and rack the beer onto them. You'll get a second fermentation.

Offline Andy Farke

• Brewer
  • Homebrewing Paleontologist
    • Andy's Brewing Blog
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2017, 07:59:53 pm »
Another option if you want to just try fruit without committing to a full keg is to put a bit of fruit puree in the glass prior to pouring (it might take a bit of a stir). You can make your own (either straight-up, or thinned out and sweetened with a bit of simple syrup), or use one of the commercially available craft purees. I like the Amoretti ones, because they have a pump, so you don't have to use the whole bottle all at once. They're a *touch* pricey, but quite worth the money, in my opinion. Their blood orange craft puree is pretty tasty, as is their peach puree (which I used to make an absolutely excellent peach IPA last summer). You can also mix them with sparkling water, etc., so there's versatility, too.

In any case, I'm a big fan of "add a shot of fruit by the glass", especially when experimenting with recipe.
Facebook: Farke Brewing

Offline riceral

• Brewer
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2017, 06:34:51 am »
Honestly, good Belgians are so good it's hard to pick a fruit that wouldn't take away from it.

And the crowd answered "Amen!"

Unless it's a lambic.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2017, 06:40:00 am by riceral »
Ralph R.