Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Mandarina Bavaria disgusting?!  (Read 13585 times)

Offline bayareabrewer

• Brewmaster
Re: Mandarina Bavaria disgusting?!
« Reply #45 on: January 08, 2018, 03:19:09 pm »
I need to know how his hops are on another level compared to most others. Does he just get them before everyone else and pack them sooner or something? Literally every hop variety I've gotten from him has just been a super flavored version of what I'm used to.

He goes to Yakima and personally selects them.  But that's not unusual.  At harvest time at YCH, brewers and buyers from all over the country show up to select their hops.  He does nothing special in terms of packaging.  He just drives the bales back to his biz in Baker City and has his employees there package them.  (His wife used to do all the packaging!) I think at this point he's hired a couple people to work in the hop biz.  He's also building a warehouse/storage facility.

Does he have a extra special talent for selection then? You are the one that recommended him to me, and holy smokes has his stuff exceeded all expectations.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #46 on: January 08, 2018, 03:43:38 pm »
Does he have a extra special talent for selection then? You are the one that recommended him to me, and holy smokes has his stuff exceeded all expectations.

I think his nose/senses (or whatever) have to be ahead of the curve. Superb hops.
Jon H.

Offline bayareabrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #47 on: January 08, 2018, 03:48:53 pm »

I think his nose/senses (or whatever) have to be ahead of the curve. Superb hops.

have you tried his lager hop blend? He calls it edelweiss. I absolutely love it. the perfect amount of herbal, earth and spice

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #48 on: January 08, 2018, 04:15:03 pm »

have you tried his lager hop blend? He calls it edelweiss. I absolutely love it. the perfect amount of herbal, earth and spice

No I haven't but want to. I've tried his :  Azacca, Centennial, Cascade, Hallertau, Mt Hood, Citra, Simcoe, and maybe Crystal? All were absolutely stellar. I still love YVH for their broad selection and new/experimental stuff, but I keep buying more and more from him.
Jon H.

Offline bayareabrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #49 on: January 08, 2018, 05:07:18 pm »

No I haven't but want to. I've tried his :  Azacca, Centennial, Cascade, Hallertau, Mt Hood, Citra, Simcoe, and maybe Crystal? All were absolutely stellar. I still love YVH for their broad selection and new/experimental stuff, but I keep buying more and more from him.

the edelweiss has darn near replaced noble type hops for me.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #50 on: January 09, 2018, 08:44:00 am »

Well, he's a Grand Master +++ judge, so his senses are well trained.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #51 on: January 09, 2018, 08:58:42 am »

Well, he's a Grand Master +++ judge, so his senses are well trained.

Makes sense!
Jon H.

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #52 on: January 09, 2018, 11:25:38 am »
Who is "he?" Now I want "his" hops!
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #53 on: January 09, 2018, 11:28:07 am »

His name is Ted Hausotter. He sells his hops on eBay. Be sure to verify him as the seller. Even his year old hops are very good. Ships quickly, too. Can't recommend enough.
Jon H.

Offline Robert

« Reply #54 on: January 09, 2018, 11:37:00 am »
Thanks!
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #55 on: January 09, 2018, 02:04:09 pm »

Company is called Hop Heaven.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Robert

« Reply #56 on: January 09, 2018, 07:23:27 pm »

His name is Ted Hausotter. He sells his hops on eBay. Be sure to verify him as the seller. Even his year old hops are very good. Ships quickly, too. Can't recommend enough.
I see he sells whole and pellet. Are both of equally exceptional quality? Does he choose lots before pelletizing?
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #57 on: January 09, 2018, 07:31:19 pm »
I know Ted and if he sold anything less than exceptional, I'd be shocked.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #58 on: January 09, 2018, 07:40:10 pm »
He also makes cool ways for millennials to move around the office

Offline Robert

« Reply #59 on: January 09, 2018, 07:51:23 pm »
I know Ted and if he sold anything less than exceptional, I'd be shocked.
He also makes cool ways for millennials to move around the office
Okay two things, one, I'm buying his hops and two, I rarely regret being born when I was (I mean it didn't totally suck being young in the 70s and 80s) but that's just not fair.   Youth truly is wasted on the young!
(First office bldg I worked in had an atrium you could look down like that.  But only way there was 70 year old elevator, and only thing at bottom was vending machine with stale Toast-Chee crackers.  Bet they have video games and curated snacks down there.)
« Last Edit: January 09, 2018, 08:01:43 pm by Robert »
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio