Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Mandarina Bavaria disgusting?!  (Read 13701 times)

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: Mandarina Bavaria disgusting?!
« Reply #60 on: January 10, 2018, 05:17:53 am »
Who is "he?" Now I want "his" hops!

His name is Ted Hausotter. He sells his hops on eBay. Be sure to verify him as the seller. Even his year old hops are very good. Ships quickly, too. Can't recommend enough.
I see he sells whole and pellet. Are both of equally exceptional quality? Does he choose lots before pelletizing?

I only use his pellets, so I can't speak to anything about the whole hops or process. Like Jim, I'd be amazed if they weren't excellent as well.
Jon H.

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #61 on: January 10, 2018, 05:26:32 am »

His name is Ted Hausotter. He sells his hops on eBay. Be sure to verify him as the seller. Even his year old hops are very good. Ships quickly, too. Can't recommend enough.
I see he sells whole and pellet. Are both of equally exceptional quality? Does he choose lots before pelletizing?

I only use his pellets, so I can't speak to anything about the whole hops or process. Like Jim, I'd be amazed if they weren't excellent as well.
Good, it's pellets I want.  Wanted to make sure the whole process was under the watch of this wizard.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #62 on: January 10, 2018, 09:32:16 am »

For American hops, yes.  He has his own pellet mill.  I think continental hops come already pelletized, but the quality is still excellent.  I pretty much always just get pellets from him these days.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #63 on: January 10, 2018, 09:33:09 am »
I know Ted and if he sold anything less than exceptional, I'd be shocked.

Indeed.  He doesn't sell anything he wouldn't use himself and he's picky!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline bayareabrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #64 on: January 10, 2018, 09:42:43 am »
I know Ted and if he sold anything less than exceptional, I'd be shocked.

Indeed.  He doesn't sell anything he wouldn't use himself and he's picky!

a saison I made featuring his edelweiss hop blend took BOS at a comp a little while back.

Offline Robert

« Reply #65 on: January 10, 2018, 12:32:28 pm »
Thanks, all! I just ordered some 2017 Edelweiss and 2016 Magnum.  Won't make it in time for this weekend's brew day, but with all your gushing reviews, I can hardly wait for brews to come!  I see my year shaping up: Edelweiss, Bru'n Water,  and my eternal quest for the perfect Pils.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline Robert

« Reply #66 on: January 18, 2018, 10:06:22 am »
Got my hops from Ted!  Haven't opened them to smell them, I'll wait till I'm ready to weigh out my charges for next brew in a week or so (can hardly wait) -- but what a beautiful,  even, deep green color! (And his prices, how can he do it?!)
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline Robert

« Reply #67 on: January 25, 2018, 10:23:46 am »
Opened up my hops today to weigh out this weekend's charges.  Wow! If this is what pellet hops are supposed to be like, I've really never had hops before!  Whole different level of aroma and sticky resinousness (is that a word?) Can't wait to see what they do in a brew. Repacked them double vac sealed, hope they stay just this fresh!
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #68 on: January 25, 2018, 10:24:56 am »
Opened up my hops today to weigh out this weekend's charges.  Wow! If this is what pellet hops are supposed to be like, I've really never had hops before!  Whole different level of aroma and sticky resinousness (is that a word?) Can't wait to see what they do in a brew. Repacked them double vac sealed, hope they stay just this fresh!

Were they from Ted?

www.dennybrew.com

Offline Robert

« Reply #69 on: January 25, 2018, 10:25:59 am »
^^^^
Yep!
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #70 on: January 25, 2018, 10:41:17 am »
^^^^
Yep!

Then I'm not surprised at the quality.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline Wilbur

• Brewmaster
« Reply #71 on: February 26, 2018, 11:09:36 am »
Citra has Hallertau Mittelfrüh in its breeding list.
https://ychhops.com/varieties/citra-brand-hbc-394-cv

I'd seen that. I wonder how Citra ended up so intense and oily with parentage of mostly less intense hops?
Same way Lemondrop is so much less intense than its mother Cascade?  Or that Cascade itself has changed so much?  Every hop is its own thing, it seems.

I get that. Just seems the jump in intensity from Citra's parentage to Citra is a lot bigger than the drop off from Cascade to Lemondrop. I'm sure the answer lies in our ability nowadays to manipulate genetic factors in forming new hybrids. Pretty interesting regardless.
It might also show just how much we don't know about genetics, or to what degree genes and/or other factors are really determining characteristics.  The fact that cloned varieties change so much with time and place suggests genetics aren't the be all and end all.

On topic: Any pairing tips for Mandarina Bavaria? I'm looking to make a nice lager, not particularly any one style. I'll probably use mostly Vienna so I can use up the rest of that sack.

Hops and many other commercial plants are propagated asexually through rhizomes or cuttings. Breeding may be done to develop new varieties, but never for propagating or generating new plants. This is one of the coolest things in horticulture/agriculture. The net result is that asexual propagation through cuttings, rhizomes, stem cuttings, etc. yield a plant that is genetically identical to the plant the cutting was taken from it. In a way, when you plant Hallertau or Cascade, you have the exact same plant someone raised in the 1960's, the 1900's, 1800's, etc. I believe the Brulosophy podcast had an interview with Hopsteiner where they talk about developing hop varieties, some kind of genetic identification to identify plants for further development.

https://extension2.missouri.edu/mg3
http://msue.anr.msu.edu/uploads/234/78941/Hop_Intro_-_3_Varietal_Information_and_Propagation_-_Julie_Kane.pdf
https://content.ces.ncsu.edu/extension-gardener-handbook/13-propagation#section_heading_5635

I think there's a lot in terms on stress on the plant, soil type, etc. that affects hop flavor. I like Stan Hieronymus's writeup on terroir.

https://appellationbeer.com/blog/cascade-a-study-in-hop-terroir/

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #72 on: February 26, 2018, 02:28:04 pm »
I did a pale ale that was all Mandarina, and really liked it.

About to rack a Pale Ale into a keg that was bittered with Magnum, has Mandarina and Hüll Melon in the whirlpool, and the dry hopped with those too. 2:1 ratio of MB and HÜll Melon.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2018, 08:28:11 pm by hopfenundmalz »
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #73 on: February 26, 2018, 02:47:10 pm »
I did a pale ale that was all Mandarina, and really liked it.

About to rack a Pale Ale into a keg that was buttered with Magnum, has Mandarina and Hüll Melon in the whirlpool, and the dry hopped with those too. 2:1 ratio of MB and HÜll Melon.

Yummmm, that Magnum is buttery!  :)

www.dennybrew.com

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #74 on: February 26, 2018, 03:38:47 pm »
My pilsner is hopped late with HM then dryhopped with MB. It pairs really well and has a very noble quality to it with a slight hint of orange/citrus.
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale