Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Happy Brew Year  (Read 2312 times)

Big Monk

Happy Brew Year
« on: December 31, 2017, 11:19:36 pm »
Happy New Year to everyone.

We have all had our differences in the past years but I think we can agree on a desire to make the best beer possible.

I’m not going to stop trying to persuade you to use our methods but I won’t get on you too bad for doing things your way either. There is enough good info out there for everyone to make the right decisions for their brewhouse.

Here’s to good things beer related in 2018.

Offline dls5492

• Brewer
Re: Happy Brew Year
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2018, 05:46:46 am »
“May the saddest day of your future be no worse
than the happiest day of your past.”

An Irish New Year Toast.
David S.
Cedar Falls, IA
Club: Cedar River Association of Zymurgy Enthusiasts (CRAZE)

And the Lord is the Spirit; and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty. II Cor. 3:17

Offline scrap iron

• Assistant Brewer
  • K.C.
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2018, 07:51:09 am »
 Here's to a long life and a merry one.
A quick death and an easy one.
A pretty girl and an honest one.
A cold beer - and another one!            Here is another Irish toast to the New Year, cheers Brothers and Sisters.
Mike F.                                                                              “I am a firm believer in the people. If given the truth, they can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts, and beer.”

Abraham Lincoln

Online majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2018, 03:56:25 pm »
Happy New Year to everyone.

We have all had our differences in the past years but I think we can agree on a desire to make the best beer possible.

I’m not going to stop trying to persuade you to use our methods but I won’t get on you too bad for doing things your way either. There is enough good info out there for everyone to make the right decisions for their brewhouse.

Here’s to good things beer related in 2018.

I will drink to that and to let bygones be bygones. And most importantly we must all be respectful, because that's just the right way to be. Cheers!

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2018, 05:05:41 pm »
Have an absolutely fabulous year. Brew and drink what makes you happy. If want something better, go for it.

I have been going down the Low O2 path for my German lagers. British beers not so much. Whatever hits the flavor you want.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Big Monk

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2018, 06:48:00 pm »
Have an absolutely fabulous year. Brew and drink what makes you happy. If want something better, go for it.

I have been going down the Low O2 path for my German lagers. British beers not so much. Whatever hits the flavor you want.

Right. One of the surprising things has been seeing people branch out with the methods. Pale Ales. Stouts. Porters.

Bryan is of course the resident lager guru. That is where it truly shines, shines, shines.

For me, it’s brewing Trappist “style” beers: Singles, Dubbel, Tripels, and Dark Strongs. Something about the flavors I get from low oxygen and bottle spunding really makes the beers pop.

Point is there is something for everybody and if your skepticism isn’t budged, then do you. There’s nothing that says you can’t brew how you want. We passed through the storm a while back and now there are outlets for people who want different kinds of information. The discussion is back.

That’s a good thing.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2018, 08:27:04 pm »
Wow, I must have missed the really bad part. Because compared to 4 years ago this forum has died.

Big Monk

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2018, 04:15:09 am »
Wow, I must have missed the really bad part. Because compared to 4 years ago this forum has died.

I think you were here for the worst. I think more people are just ACTUALLY brewing instead of talking about brewing on the forums.

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2018, 02:44:16 pm »
I think you were here for the worst. I think more people are just ACTUALLY brewing instead of talking about brewing on the forums.

What actually happened was that certain people treated longtime and valuable posters of this forum so rudely that they decided to stop contributing and being a part of the community - and it's our collective loss. 

It really bothers me that a group of people who enjoy the same hobby can't treat each other with basic respect and politeness.  Can we do a better job in 2018?
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Online majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2018, 06:21:09 pm »

What actually happened was that certain people treated longtime and valuable posters of this forum so rudely that they decided to stop contributing and being a part of the community - and it's our collective loss. 

It really bothers me that a group of people who enjoy the same hobby can't treat each other with basic respect and politeness.  Can we do a better job in 2018?

Yep. I think we all can. That said, already have seen some Private Messages that didn't hold a lot of promise.

Big Monk

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2018, 06:41:12 pm »

Yep. I think we all can. That said, already have seen some Private Messages that didn't hold a lot of promise.

The mood has shifted in my opinion. I know just speaking for myself that I left here (deleted my account) for a while and have backed way off on posting because not every thread needs my opinion sandwiched in. On the other hand I think it’s important to have an opinion on certain matters.

I think the big gains will come from presenting those opinions, on both sides of the argument, in a better way. Challenging people’s long held opinions and methods is a job for a tack hammer, not a jack hammer. I’m guilty of having used a thermonuclear warhead in the past to get my point across and ultimately we have caught more fish in the last year with rod and reel rather than dynamite.

Again, there are gains to be had for everyone this year.

The Beerery

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2018, 07:01:44 pm »

A door works 2 ways.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2018, 08:48:23 pm »

+1 eleventy.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Online majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2018, 04:29:02 pm »

A door works 2 ways.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But Trolls work only one way. ;)