Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: BIAB  (Read 3470 times)

Offline rboulier4077@gmail.com

• 1st Kit
BIAB
« on: January 02, 2018, 12:08:07 pm »
Is the brew in a bag system the way to go?  Any benefits or cons?

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: BIAB
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2018, 12:28:35 pm »
Is the brew in a bag system the way to go?  Any benefits or cons?

That's a personal decision, based on your goals, your space, your life....too many variables to answer.  It's as valid a way to brew as any other, so examine what you want to accomplish and the amount of timer and space you have and factor those into your decision.  For me, I've done BIAB and found that I prefer other methods.  Lots of other people do BIAB and love it.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2018, 01:38:38 pm »
Prime reason to BIAB in my mind is if you want to no sparge and boil in the same kettle.

Offline Wilbur

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2018, 02:17:15 pm »
I BIAB (no sparge), used to do the whole 3 vessel/cooler mash tun thing. Less equipment to setup, clean, and store, and more consistent for me. I think of it as kind of a low risk all grain option-the only specialized equipment you need is a bag (cheap voile from Joanne Fabrics is less than $15), and you can use everything else if you decide to go a different route.

Offline jimmykx250

• Brewer
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2018, 02:36:16 pm »
I BIAB (no sparge), used to do the whole 3 vessel/cooler mash tun thing. Less equipment to setup, clean, and store, and more consistent for me. I think of it as kind of a low risk all grain option-the only specialized equipment you need is a bag (cheap voile from Joanne Fabrics is less than $15), and you can use everything else if you decide to go a different route.

I agree 100% and if time is a factor I dont think you can beat BIAB. 3 to 4 hours to do a brew start to finish. I think 3 vessel is around 5 to 6. I still want to try 3 vessel but am very happy with the quality of my beer right now. When I get more time to dedicate to the hobby I will buy a mash tun and try my hand at it. 
Jimmykx250

Offline lindak

• Cellarman
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2018, 06:37:54 pm »
I've been happily brewing BIAB for a couple of years now— I see no reason to change.  My brew days were dialed in quickly and my efficiency is consistent.  The only issue I first encountered was lifting the bag.  Then someone mentioned a food network episode in which Alton Brown uses a ladder to lift a turkey from a fryer...  now my ten foot fiberglass step ladder is part of my brew day kit.  After mashing, the ladder is positioned over my kettle / propane burner and the bag is lifted with a pulley attached to the top step... end of BIAB cons for me. 

Offline tommymorris

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2018, 07:16:22 pm »
BIAB is a natural progression from extract. It’s similar to steeping on a larger scale, so, it’s easy to understand. In fact it is so easy, many new brewers skip extract now. Also, the only new equipment needed is a bag.

So, I recommend BIAB as an intermediate step on your brewing journey or a final destination.

I have fly sparged, batch sparged, and BIAB brewed. Best I can tell, the beer taste the same for all three. I BIAB now, but, my journey is not over.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2018, 07:53:31 pm »
BIAB is a natural progression from extract. It’s similar to steeping on a larger scale, so, it’s easy to understand. In fact it is so easy, many new brewers skip extract now. Also, the only new equipment needed is a bag.

So, I recommend BIAB as an intermediate step on your brewing journey or a final destination.

I have fly sparged, batch sparged, and BIAB brewed. Best I can tell, the beer taste the same for all three. I BIAB now, but, my journey is not over.
Agreed. And might be the natural retrogression after delving into everything that is so called advanced.

One thing I would do differently. I would have learned water during mini mash, rather than after going all grain .

Offline Philbrew

• Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2018, 09:52:11 pm »

Agreed. And might be the natural retrogression after delving into everything that is so called advanced.

One thing I would do differently. I would have learned water during mini mash, rather than after going all grain .
^^^^+1
Many of us would be on a strict liquid diet if it weren't for pretzels.

Offline Kevin

• Brewmaster
  • Great beer. Less work. More fun.
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2018, 12:37:32 pm »
BIAB is a natural progression from extract. ...<snip>

BIAB was not heard of when I stopped brewing a decade or so ago. I came back to homebrewing at this very time last year when a friend was selling a three keggle brew rig with pumps and the whole 9 yards for a price I couldn't turn down.

I brewed on it from about February of last year to June when i decided to try this newfangled BIAB everyone was talking about now. Here we are about 7 months later and in that time I have only used one of the kettles and burners in any brew session on my rig.

I keep telling myself I should use it as intended but BIAB is so danged easy. So I guess it's not an intermediate step for me... or I'm just regressing.
“He was a wise man who invented beer.”
- Plato

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2018, 12:46:14 pm »
I argue that complex doesn't necessarily equate to advanced

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2018, 01:23:58 pm »
I argue that complex doesn't necessarily equate to advanced

You and me both, buddy!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline UnequivocalBrewing

• Cellarman
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2018, 09:24:56 am »
Question for people doing no sparge BIAB.  What is your typical liquor to grist ratio in your mash?  When I thought about doing a no sparge BIAB (I usually do a sparge) I calculated the ratio to be anywhere from 3-4 quarts water per lb of grain depending on desired OG.  I thought that was awfully thin for a mash.

Any thoughts?

Offline Pricelessbrewing

• Assistant Brewer
  • BrewersFriend
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2018, 09:39:30 am »
For a 1.060 beer I'm at 2.54 qt/lb. Unless you have a ton of mashtun losses, kettle losses, or aren't squeezing, you shouldn't be that high.

Offline UnequivocalBrewing

• Cellarman
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2018, 10:38:26 am »
Ok I was able to get it down to 2.7 qt/lb in beersmith with brewhouse efficiency of 70%.  I am planning a milk stout so I had some of the OG tied up in lactose and that would thin out the mash vs getting there with all grains.  Still not at 2.5 but close....either way it's a fairly thin mash.  Does this tend to thin out the body of the beer or does everyone think this is ok?