Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: N. C. Old Rasputin  (Read 6233 times)

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
Re: N. C. Old Rasputin
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2018, 10:59:48 am »
That's good enough for me, pending info to the contrary from the brewery.

Thanks Denny

Offline coolman26

• Brewmaster
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2018, 12:54:18 pm »
We've established that 1450 is from North Coast. No one has proven that it's what they use in Old Rasputin yet. The brewery says they brew O.R. in the tradition of the original RIS, which hints that they perhaps are using an English strain. We wouldn't use the same logic (must be the house strain) to determine what yeast they use in their Saison... or a Belgian Strong,  or their Pilsner.

Based on the bit of experience I have with 1450 and having had an OR within the past couple weeks, I think it's a reasonable assumption that it is 1450.  It tastes like it, it feels like it.  No proof, but an educated guess.
I totally agree with this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jeff B

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2018, 07:54:31 pm »

Thanks Denny

Jim

My two cent have nothing to do with the yeast. But I brewed a batch a couple years back following all the published recipes (I think they were all the same from BYO, zymurgy, etc) and it was NOT a clone. It was like a brown ale. Double check the numbers on your recipe. I did not until after and was disappointed.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2018, 08:20:38 pm »

Thanks Denny

Jim

My two cent have nothing to do with the yeast. But I brewed a batch a couple years back following all the published recipes (I think they were all the same from BYO, zymurgy, etc) and it was NOT a clone. It was like a brown ale. Double check the numbers on your recipe. I did not until after and was disappointed.
Thanks Joe. But I'm not using anyone's recipe. And my imperial won't be an attempt at a clone. I just had a glass in front of me and surfed recipes. I was just trying to confirm or deny what I was getting from the beer. Can't be 1056

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2018, 11:27:33 am »
Cool.  You've inspired me to have an OR for lunch.  And I almost wore my OR shirt today, too.  Yes, I have one!

My broader point regarding the published recipe, if I had a broader point, was that it is so far off I am not surprised that the yeast would be wrong.

To be honest, having just had two sips, behind the roast and the hops I would be hard pressed to pick out the particulars of the yeast...
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2018, 12:16:30 pm »
Yup! The English esters may be my imagination.

By the way, two emails to N.C. and no reply yet. Probably on vacation

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2018, 06:56:11 am »
Oooooh! Everything these guys make is solid. Looking forward to this one.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2018, 08:20:26 am »
It's settled. Old Rasputin is fermented with Wyeast 1450 Dennys Favorite (Brewtek CL-50) aka North Coast house ale strain, which is not English.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2018, 01:56:24 pm »
1450 in hand! Next brew day is an English IPA and a double mashed Imperial Stout!

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2018, 02:19:55 pm »
1450 in hand! Next brew day is an English IPA and a double mashed Imperial Stout!

Just remembered.. Bill Pirce of HBD came up with a recipe called Rootin' Tootin' Rapsutin.  I brewed it for my 100th batch.  It's remarkably OR like.  I'll see if I can find it for ya.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2018, 02:24:08 pm »

Just remembered.. Bill Pirce of HBD came up with a recipe called Rootin' Tootin' Rapsutin.  I brewed it for my 100th batch.  It's remarkably OR like.  I'll see if I can find it for ya.
Cool

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2018, 03:49:58 pm »

Man, 1450 is great in big stouts. You'll love it. It's all I'll use in my non-Irish stouts.
Jon H.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2018, 04:05:55 pm »
Sweet!

Offline coolman26

• Brewmaster
« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2018, 04:44:19 pm »

Let us know Denny. I have spent 3 weeks building dinosaurian yeasts. I kept them when I got sick. Stepped 21 month old 1450 that is hungry. I will say, knowing you are a WY man, that every Old WY product rebounded w/o issue. Another brand was not nearly as successful. Sold on WY! 

Jeff B

Offline coolman26

• Brewmaster
N. C. Old Rasputin
« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2018, 09:14:29 pm »

I drank 1 and thought to myself...hmm is that 1450?  Unsure, popped another, hmm is that 1450?
I have to say that if it is actually 1450, I want to bathe in it. Seriously, I’m not sure how a stout gets any better than this.

Jeff B