Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: DIY BIAB efficiency  (Read 4448 times)

Offline jjpeanasky

• Cellarman
  • WI native, IA captive
Re: DIY BIAB efficiency
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2018, 06:55:18 am »
A pump and recirculation would help greatly in lieu of sparging.

That's what I'm doing actually. Have the pump on during all the mash process.

I've seen some people who have a similar set-up have issues where the recirculation can actually create a "channel" of sorts through or around the grain bed and as a result a large portion of the mash is not held at temp.

Big Monk

« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2018, 07:15:06 am »
A pump and recirculation would help greatly in lieu of sparging.

That's what I'm doing actually. Have the pump on during all the mash process.

I've seen some people who have a similar set-up have issues where the recirculation can actually create a "channel" of sorts through or around the grain bed and as a result a large portion of the mash is not held at temp.

A manifold made out of something like LocLine is useful to reintroduce the water uniformly.

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2018, 02:17:24 pm »
Even with Locline (halo type configuration to spread out the recirc below the wort level and above the grain bed), you need to flow at a rate that allows the draining through the grain bed and out the bottom of the mash tun.  Recirculating too fast can cause the upper part of the mash tun to fill and then the wort may simply go through the sides of the bag above the actual grain bed, much like a channeling through grain can occur.  It is really a matter of getting the system and process down on your setup.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Big Monk

« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2018, 04:04:58 pm »
Even with Locline (halo type configuration to spread out the recirc below the wort level and above the grain bed), you need to flow at a rate that allows the draining through the grain bed and out the bottom of the mash tun.  Recirculating too fast can cause the upper part of the mash tun to fill and then the wort may simply go through the sides of the bag above the actual grain bed, much like a channeling through grain can occur.  It is really a matter of getting the system and process down on your setup.

Right. Flow control is key. A valve on the outlet works very well.