Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: New Year, whatcha getting, and other brewing chatter time kill  (Read 6091 times)

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
Re: New Year, whatcha getting, and other brewing chatter time kill
« Reply #45 on: January 02, 2018, 11:05:37 am »
I think mine is actually a sharpie too. Do they even make magic marker

Offline mchrispen

• Brewmaster
    • Accidentalis Brewing Blog
« Reply #46 on: January 02, 2018, 11:38:33 am »
If I recall my history... Bic trademarked "Magic Marker" from someone back in the late 60's or early 70's. They use it pretty broadly across a variety of ink tubes capped with felt/fiber writing tips... even for some of their dry erase stuff.

Magic Marker is the pen equivalent of Kleenex.
Matt Chrispen
Sometime Austin Zealot
Blogging from the garage @ accidentalis.com
>> Bru'n Water Spreadsheet Walkthroughs<<
>> Bru'n Water Subscriber Version 5.3 Spreadsheet Walkthrough <<

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #47 on: January 02, 2018, 01:36:45 pm »
Now I'm wondering if there's a difference between Sharpie and Magic Marker. Oh Marshall...

Nevermind, regardless of pee value, he'd end up using the wrong style.

Offline 69franx

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #48 on: January 04, 2018, 12:42:23 pm »
Getting in here a bit late with this topic but I do have some changes in mind for this year. I bought some kegs in the last couple months, a couple spunding valves, and now 2 of the clear beer draught system jobbers Jon was talking about. Have made 2 batches since buying kegs, both were great and stayed fresher longer than bottles in the past. I have brewed once since the spunding valve purchase and that was a mixed bag trying to dial in the proper carb level. Definitely overcarbed to start with but dialed it down and enjoyed the hell out of a Oktoberfest recipe I copied from Wort-Hog. I have not brewed since buying the clear beer draft system, but seems like a brilliant idea. Only really brewed 6 batches in 2017, but it worked out well. Need to get something on the schedule right now as this Ofest is going to die when i pull a growler or hopefully 2 to take to a function on Friday and nothing else in fermenters. Happy Brew Year everyone
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #49 on: January 04, 2018, 01:11:55 pm »
Getting in here a bit late with this topic but I do have some changes in mind for this year. I bought some kegs in the last couple months, a couple spunding valves, and now 2 of the clear beer draught system jobbers Jon was talking about. Have made 2 batches since buying kegs, both were great and stayed fresher longer than bottles in the past. I have brewed once since the spunding valve purchase and that was a mixed bag trying to dial in the proper carb level. Definitely overcarbed to start with but dialed it down and enjoyed the hell out of a Oktoberfest recipe I copied from Wort-Hog. I have not brewed since buying the clear beer draft system, but seems like a brilliant idea. Only really brewed 6 batches in 2017, but it worked out well. Need to get something on the schedule right now as this Ofest is going to die when i pull a growler or hopefully 2 to take to a function on Friday and nothing else in fermenters. Happy Brew Year everyone

Let me know what you think of the Clear Beer, Frank. Definitely a good workaround for the extra yeast from spunding. I'm a big fan.
Jon H.

Offline JJeffers09

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #50 on: January 04, 2018, 04:45:24 pm »
I really need new kegging equip and a lagering fridge.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

AHA Member
Indiana Brewers Union (IBU)

Offline 69franx

« Reply #51 on: January 04, 2018, 06:58:50 pm »

Let me know what you think of the Clear Beer, Frank. Definitely a good workaround for the extra yeast from spunding. I'm a big fan.
So Jon, I am assuming that when you rack to a spunding keg, you already have the clear beer system in that keg correct? I mean that you're not then racking after the spund carb is complete?

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: January 05, 2018, 05:48:00 am by 69franx »
Frank L.
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #52 on: January 05, 2018, 06:24:11 am »
So Jon, I am assuming that when you rack to a spunding keg, you already have the clear beer system in that keg correct? I mean that you're not then racking after the spund carb is complete?

Right, the kegs that get spunded have the Clear Beer in them and the beer stays in there. I'm sure you've probably seen but be sure to first clean the Clear Beer with a mild, unscented detergent and rinse with lots of hot water, to remove any possible machine oils. Then just pump sanitizer through like you normally would before kegging.
Jon H.

Offline 69franx

« Reply #53 on: January 05, 2018, 10:11:57 pm »

Right, the kegs that get spunded have the Clear Beer in them and the beer stays in there. I'm sure you've probably seen but be sure to first clean the Clear Beer with a mild, unscented detergent and rinse with lots of hot water, to remove any possible machine oils. Then just pump sanitizer through like you normally would before kegging.
Thanx will do. Not even sure when next batch will be and my pipeline is dry after tonight

Frank L.

Offline G-spot brew pub

• 1st Kit
New Year, whatcha getting, and other brewing chatter time kill
« Reply #54 on: January 07, 2018, 08:06:38 pm »
My brew year resolution was a better keezer, no more picnic taps and make it look good. Will be done soon.

Next year I am going to do 1 of two things.... a permanent brew station with either a tiered system and pumps and exhaust so brewing inside is possible or conical fermenter(s). Both I can accomplish for around the same price just don’t know which way makes my life easiest

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #55 on: January 08, 2018, 12:34:37 pm »
My brewing time has been severely limited as of late, and I haven't brewed anything sine the end of the summer. That said, I finally splurged and picked up a few pieces of gear that I've always wanted, but were hard to justify as a 3-gallon kitchen brewer.

The first was a new 5.5 gallon Anvil kettle. I've always brewed using a regular 5-gallon stock pot. While it is high quality, the ladeling/pouring of hot water/wort was always a real PITA, and has led to my share of mild scalds over the years. Having a purpose-built brew kettle will allow me to run off to my mash tun without dumping anything. Plus, I can do neat tricks that all the cool kids are doing like underletting my mash. And with the kettle screen I can run off into my fermenter without having to try to carefully pour the clear wort off the top of 4 gallons of liquid, hops and trub (and not spill a bunch all over the kitchen hardwoods).

Although my juryrigged cold water bath in the kitchen sink has served me servicably well, I finally sprung for an immersion chiller. Unfortunately, I don't have a way to connect it directly to my faucet because of the faucet design, and I'm too far away from my hoses to use those from the outside. For the time being, I will just fill a few buckets with tap water and use a pond pump, but I'm planning on teeing off of my supply line on my sink in the near future to make things easier there.

Who knows when I'll actually get a chance to use all my new gear, but I'm looking forward to easier brewdays in the near future.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer