Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Sudden Barley Crusher issue  (Read 4362 times)

Offline gimmeales

• Assistant Brewer
Sudden Barley Crusher issue
« on: January 06, 2018, 01:19:33 pm »
I'm suddenly having issues with my Barley Crusher Mill of many years with dozens of batches of flawless service. Without any gap adjustments, it started to simply refuse to crush more than a couple handfuls of grain at a time. If it add grist over ~1lb or so, and esp if there are any roasted grains, the rollers just spin until I empty all but a couple cups of grain.

I've played with the gap a bit since the problems surfaced 3 batches ago, but still seeing the issue today with a Saison with a super simple grain bill (no roasted malts). Annoying to crush ~15lbs of grain a handful at a time.

Anyway seen this or have ideas?

Offline 69franx

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Bloatarian Brewing League
Re: Sudden Barley Crusher issue
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2018, 02:12:33 pm »
I'm suddenly having issues with my Barley Crusher Mill of many years with dozens of batches of flawless service. Without any gap adjustments, it started to simply refuse to crush more than a couple handfuls of grain at a time. If it add grist over ~1lb or so, and esp if there are any roasted grains, the rollers just spin until I empty all but a couple cups of grain.

I've played with the gap a bit since the problems surfaced 3 batches ago, but still seeing the issue today with a Saison with a super simple grain bill (no roasted malts). Annoying to crush ~15lbs of grain a handful at a time.

The only time I've had trouble with my mill(cereal killer, similar mill) was when I accidentally reversed my drill. Grain would fall through, but not get crushed. Not sure if that's the problem you're having or not, just an idea

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2018, 02:21:41 pm »

A common issue with the BC is that, over time, the knurling on the rollers wears down and the passive roller stops spinning.

It happened to me after maybe 8 or 9 years of use.  You might be able to send it back to the manufacturer for refurbishing.  Personally, I just bought new rollers (and it totally fixed the problem).
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline Bob357

• Brewmaster
  • Consensus means nothing to me. I am who I am.
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2018, 02:22:54 pm »
I had the same trouble with my Barley Crusher, but found that once I start milling if I don't stop until the hopper is empty it goes great. If I stop before that I need to empty the hopper and start over again. When the problem first started it was with the harder grains, especially darker crystal malts.

I think the cause is that the knurling on the rollers is worn and just doesn't grab the grains as well as it used to. I haven't had any issues in a year or more since discovering the work around.
Beer is my bucket list,

Bob357
Fallon, NV

Offline gimmeales

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2018, 04:05:45 pm »
Thanks fellas, yeah the rollers must just be tired as I've run a lot of grain through them. I'll look into getting some new rollers! Wonder if they can be re-purposed in some way as they're otherwise nice machined bit of aluminum...

Offline case thrower

• Assistant Brewer
  • NE Ohio
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2018, 05:08:47 pm »
These things have a lifetime warranty.  My LHBS had another brand that looked exactly the same but only came with a one year warranty so I ended up getting mine through the Brewsmith website when they were on sale. Send it back and they'll totally refurbish it.  Since I've only had mine for about 7-8 months, I haven't had to do that but from what I've read here takes 3-4 weeks.  There were also some complaints and the owner answered them here.
https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=23654.0
(Aghhhh! Can't get the link to work.  You'll have to copy and paste.  Sorry about that)
Dave C.

Woke up this mornin' and I got myself a beer.
The future's uncertain and the end is always near.

Offline bucketbiochemist

• 1st Kit
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2018, 06:51:53 pm »
I've run into the same problem after ~7 years and a couple hundred batches.  Just ordered some replacement rollers.   While you are waiting for replacements, try cleaning the rollers with a stiff bristle brush.  Also, disassembling the mill, flipping the rollers, and then running the mill in the other direction can help.  Good luck!

Online Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2018, 05:32:39 am »
I too had the same issues after about 8 years of use.  I sent my mill in and the manufacturer rebuilt it under warranty.  In my case the rebuild failed after a year or so of use.  I can clearly see the knurling has been worn down this time. 

I'm not trying bash the mill but I opted to replace it the second time around.  When new it was a great mill and lasted a long time but the rebuild didn't hold up as well I would have hoped. 

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline mainebrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2018, 10:59:13 am »
I've had similar experience with my Barley Crusher.
Had it refurbished after about 1200 pounds of grain, then it started having problems again after around 700 pounds of grain.
Perhaps getting new rollers is the better way to go since I'm guessing that refurbishment involves re-cutting the knurling on the old rollers. The second cutting probably gets below the case hardened metal and doesn't last as long.
The second time, I decided to get another different brand of mill rather than refurbish the old BC.
It was a great mill while it lasted and dealing with the manuf was pretty easy. 
"It's not that people are ignorant, it's just that they know so much that just isn't true." Ronald Reagan

Offline joelv

• Cellarman
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2018, 05:37:31 am »
I need to disassemble, clean, and lubricate mine periodically. That clears up my issue of the non-gear driven roller not engaging.

I’ve used it for about 12 years now and my rollers are holding up ok surface-wise. I brew 1-2 batches per month.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2018, 05:22:56 pm »
8-10 years of what sounds like is some pretty serious usage is a pretty good return on investment.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Robert

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2018, 05:54:24 pm »
8-10 years of what sounds like is some pretty serious usage is a pretty good return on investment.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Know what I'm getting when the old JSP gives out!
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2018, 07:30:52 pm »
My JSP mill has worked longer than my BC at this point, but the BC is a nice backup for my roast malts for hand grinding using the manual handle.  That way I don't have to worry about running some pale malt through it to clean it for the next full batch grind.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline Robert

« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2018, 07:44:23 pm »
My JSP mill has worked longer than my BC at this point, but the BC is a nice backup for my roast malts for hand grinding using the manual handle.  That way I don't have to worry about running some pale malt through it to clean it for the next full batch grind.
Don't want to think of ever moving on from JSP  (had fun building it out myself from the rather crude basic model too) but Jack is retiring/has retired? and parts and support will disappear.  Over a year since LHBS was cut off from ordering, and website is pretty much nonfunctional.  It surprised me that there was no succession plan for the company, but as I understand it this was a hobby gone wild, just run out of his house, Jack in the back manufacturing and his wife handling the business. So we have to have a plan B, and BC looks like it. Is there a better option? (Maybe there will be, but I don't  know how much life is left on my rollers. If only I'd bought the case hardened option up fromt...)
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline braufessor

• Brewer
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2018, 08:55:56 pm »
Don't want to think of ever moving on from JSP  (had fun building it out myself from the rather crude basic model too) but Jack is retiring/has retired? and parts and support will disappear.  Over a year since LHBS was cut off from ordering, and website is pretty much nonfunctional.  It surprised me that there was no succession plan for the company, but as I understand it this was a hobby gone wild, just run out of his house, Jack in the back manufacturing and his wife handling the business. So we have to have a plan B, and BC looks like it. Is there a better option? (Maybe there will be, but I don't  know how much life is left on my rollers. If only I'd bought the case hardened option up fromt...)

I have the same Barley Crusher story as most - worked great, until it didn't work any more.  I feel like I got my money's worth out of it.  However, when it started to have problems I bought a Monster Mill  - really happy with it, and it is a better mill than BC in my experience.  I don't know that I will ever have to buy another mill again, but if I did, I would not hesitate to get another monster mill.