Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: nano equipment  (Read 2007 times)

Offline redneckbrewer

• 1st Kit
nano equipment
« on: January 07, 2018, 02:56:07 pm »
Does anyone have any experience with DYE equipment in China? I am looking at their 100 Lt system but I'm not sure what to expect as far as quality and customer service. I would appreciate any insight.

Offline Ellismr

• Assistant Brewer
Re: nano equipment
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2018, 05:32:36 am »
Everything I have read says that you shouldn’t buy inspect.  Granted hundred later system isn’t even one barrel but it’s your money and you should protect it. 

Personally I wouldn’t buy anything unless I could read reviews on it and thinking of the customer service aspect want you had it if you did have a problem are you going to be able to go back to somebody in China for customer service I don’t think so.

It might be different if you bought it through a vendor in the US but you could go back to with the potential issues. 

Specifically what I read was the Chinese 304 grade stainless is not consistently the quality that you would get in United States they tell you to take a magnet and if it’s magnetic that means iron contents to High and it will corrode and you want to be able to inspect the welds where your valves and dip tube’s would attach etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Brew what you like & brew often.

Online hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2018, 07:26:12 am »
Everything I have read says that you shouldn’t buy inspect.  Granted hundred later system isn’t even one barrel but it’s your money and you should protect it. 

Personally I wouldn’t buy anything unless I could read reviews on it and thinking of the customer service aspect want you had it if you did have a problem are you going to be able to go back to somebody in China for customer service I don’t think so.

It might be different if you bought it through a vendor in the US but you could go back to with the potential issues. 

Specifically what I read was the Chinese 304 grade stainless is not consistently the quality that you would get in United States they tell you to take a magnet and if it’s magnetic that means iron contents to High and it will corrode and you want to be able to inspect the welds where your valves and dip tube’s would attach etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Just a quick trip into OCD land. 304 Stainless is non-magnetic due to the crystal structure called austenitic. Cold working the steel can cause some of it to change and go to ferrite or martensite, which are magnetic.
https://www.bssa.org.uk/faq.php?id=24

One would want to see a analysis of steel samples from an American lab to see what quality they are making.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline voeltzwagen

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2018, 11:56:37 am »
If buying direct, don't expect much (if any) customer service after the sale.

There are many reputable sources in the US (that still manufacture in China) that would be a much better option. Several of them probably even use DYE. Be wary of suppliers simply reselling Chinese designed equipment. Look for those that design in the US, and provide quality assurances.

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
nano equipment
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2018, 05:54:30 pm »
This doesn’t really address the question but adds a data point: One of the smaller local pro brewers bought their stuff from China. They said two things: it took forever to ship and receive, and it was A LOT more economical. I didn’t think to ask about the service after the sale experience but the pint I tasted which was brewed on the system was pretty darn good.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: January 08, 2018, 06:21:32 pm by BrewBama »

Offline redneckbrewer

• 1st Kit
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2018, 06:26:39 am »
Thats pretty much what I'm thinking. the initial price point probably lower, but if time is money maybe not worth the potential headache.