Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: brew bucket  (Read 2508 times)

Offline Pope of Dope

• Assistant Brewer
  • Gozer is a hoser.
brew bucket
« on: January 09, 2018, 07:01:09 pm »
So while my daughter was napping in the car I attempted to clean some equipt. and do some work in the homebrewery.  Pulled out my back and then dropped a 6.5 gallon carboy on my foot, shattering it.  I checked for the big bloody wound but luckily I am fine, not a scratch, just a sore back and a lot of glass.  Was thinking it's a sign to upgrade to a 7gal SS Brewbucket.  Are there any other suggestions?
Generally you don't see that kind of behavior in a major appliance.

Offline RC

• Brewmaster
Re: brew bucket
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2018, 08:58:06 pm »
Glad you're ok. This is exactly why I switched from glass carboys to plastic ones many years ago. My current fleet of eight primary fermenters consists entirely of 7 gal Fermonsters (without valves). I love these fermenters--light, unbreakable, lots of headspace, super easy to clean, yada yada yada. PET plastic apparently does allow for a small amount of oxygen ingress, but--and I'm not trying to start a debate here, and I suspect that some folks on this forum will tighten sphincters over this--the small amount of oxygen ingress that supposedly occurs with plastic fermenters has never, not once, perceptibly affected my beers (although granted, it's rare if I have a beer on tap for longer than 3-4 weeks; again, not trying to start a debate about plastic vs. other fermenters). Brewbuckets are nice, but you could buy 6 Fermonsters for the same price and I guarantee your beers would turn out the same.

Offline Philbrew

• Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2018, 09:24:01 pm »
Yep, agree on the PET plastic fermenters.  Though I roll with 6-1/2 gallon Big Mouth Bubblers with valves.  I do like the valves.
Many of us would be on a strict liquid diet if it weren't for pretzels.

Offline TeeDubb

• Assistant Brewer
  • San Jose, CA
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2018, 11:07:57 pm »
Middle ground on price may be the Chapman fermenter, for your consideration. Close to $120 (sometimes less than $100 if they have a sale), all stainless.  I like that it blocks light, is easy to clean, and has a very tight lid seal.  I added the spigot from the SS Brewbucket for $20 to my 7 gal Chapman and have been very happy with it.

https://www.chapmanequipment.com/products/7-gallon-steeltank-fermenter

https://www.morebeer.com/products/replacement-valve-racking-arm-ss-brewtech-brew-bucket-fermenters.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIl_uQj93M2AIVGbbACh2xMAjOEAQYASABEgKrXvD_BwE

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2018, 06:04:40 am »
I have a 12gal Blichmann conical that has served well, but if I were to do it over again, I'd go with the Brewbucket. Far less expensive and it serves the same utility. The rotating racking port helps assure that you get most of the beer out and no trub. I don't drain yeast out of my conical's cone (since that would mean that more beer would be in the cone that I can't get with the racking port) and the Brewbucket's large lid means that you can reach in there and scoop out yeast dregs for storage and reuse.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline riceral

• Brewer
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2018, 06:36:15 am »
I have 2 Speidel fermentors, a 20 liter and a 30 liter. Large mouths so easy to clean. The handles on the sides are an additional benefit.
Ralph R.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2018, 07:05:56 am »
I have 2 Speidel fermentors, a 20 liter and a 30 liter. Large mouths so easy to clean. The handles on the sides are an additional benefit.
I think they are great. I have 6 of them

Offline Wilbur

• Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2018, 09:27:03 am »
I have two brewbucket mini's, and I love them. I would recommend getting more o-rings for the racking cane, they're pretty easy to cut or lose. The mini's also fit perfectly in a mini fridge for an easy/cheap fermentation chamber also. I think you'll be pretty happy with something from SS Brewtech, their support has been great also.

Offline Pope of Dope

• Assistant Brewer
  • Gozer is a hoser.
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2018, 10:54:09 am »
thanks everyone!
Generally you don't see that kind of behavior in a major appliance.

Offline rburrelli

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2018, 11:17:50 am »
Just received my first Speidel fermenter yesterday. Can't wait to give it a shot on my next batch.
11:11 Brewing
“Brewing with Attention and Intention.”

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2018, 11:21:21 am »
Michael Tonsmier uses PET fermenters for long sour projects. Good for him is good for me.

Offline chinaski

• Brewmaster
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2018, 01:04:43 pm »
At some point I may move from carboys to stainless steel.  When I do, it will most likely be to corny kegs- they are the lowest priced option and can do transfers with CO2 pressure.  I'm surprised I don't hear more people singing their praises on the forum.  Maybe they are not as good as I think?

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2018, 01:29:22 pm »
Although one of my clubmates uses 10 gal cornies to ferment in, I don't think they are ideal. I'm not sure what my clubmate does to his corny, I'd be concerned that too much yeast would be carried out of the fermenter.

PS: I added a ball-lock gas in fitting to my conical and I too have pressurized transfers. It is a wise upgrade for all brewers...regardless of what vessel you use for fermentation.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2018, 11:41:52 am »
At some point I may move from carboys to stainless steel.  When I do, it will most likely be to corny kegs- they are the lowest priced option and can do transfers with CO2 pressure.  I'm surprised I don't hear more people singing their praises on the forum.  Maybe they are not as good as I think?

I have two 10 gallon corny kegs, and they make fantastic fermentors.
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline 802Chris

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2018, 09:01:19 am »
I personally own a brew bucket. I can attest that the simple act of not having to auto-siphon beer was worth the $200 alone. It is also very durable and clean extremely easily. I was hesitant to spend the money, since I am on a VERY  limited brewing budget. I saved for 6 months for it, and I'm glad I did. It should last a lifetime and I prefer it to the buckets I was using, especially since I have had multiple plastic fermenters end up with mold within the plastic (I know this is now the case for everyone, personal experience only).

TLDR: I own and recommend it.