Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Bru'n Water files blocked by Gmail  (Read 5963 times)

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Bru'n Water files blocked by Gmail
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2018, 07:49:14 pm »
Having tried both, I personally prefer yellow bitter over Jever for German pils. Just throwing another opinion out there...
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline Robert

« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2018, 07:56:08 pm »
Having tried both, I personally prefer yellow bitter over Jever for German pils. Just throwing another opinion out there...
All opinions appreciated.  Pursuit of perfect Pilsner is perpetual project! Feels good when you get to the point where tiny water adjustments are what you're concerned with, you know you're dialing it in... [yellow dry next on list, actually looks easier to nail. But I do like Jever Pils.]
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2018, 07:58:36 pm »
All opinions appreciated.  Pursuit of perfect Pilsner is perpetual project! Feels good when you get to the point where tiny water adjustments are what you're concerned with, you know you're dialing it in... [yellow dry next on list, actually looks easier to nail.]

For sure. I only recently started to get my pilsner where I want it.
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2018, 10:46:32 am »
^^^Update
Just worked up treatment for a GPils for this weekend.  Okay I'm now totally onboard with the Bru'n Water!  Even on a Galaxy it isn't that hard to navigate, and I've quickly got the hang of it. I'll be darned close to spot on the Jever boiled profile, with very simple additions of gypsum and CaCl2 and a tiny bit of acid in mash, predicts pH 5.44 (exactly where I want it), can't wait to brew this.  Tried running a couple of other recipes by it and was surprised at both how close and how far off my instincts and experience would have got me.  Sent contribution, watching my spam folder, if supporter version is even better than free I'll be very happy.  Only took me ~29 years, but software is now part of my brewing outfit!

Boiled Jever is what I use for my G pils and it suits my tastes to a T.
Denny, do you match every parameter on boiled Jever?  I plan to just match Ca, SO4 and Cl, leaving 0 Mg and Na, I figure those are negligible anyway and not of great impact.  Think that'll do me?

I try to get close on everything, but I don't obsess over it.  I have found that using MgSO4 is a great tool in addition to CaSO4 so I can increase SO4 without getting too much Ca, while also getting that trace of Mg in there.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Wilbur

• Brewmaster
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2018, 11:25:42 am »
I try to get close on everything, but I don't obsess over it.  I have found that using MgSO4 is a great tool in addition to CaSO4 so I can increase SO4 without getting too much Ca, while also getting that trace of Mg in there.

I had thought malt contributed sufficient magnesium to water. Looking at my Bru n water spreadsheet, I see Martin has said excessive Mg can be astringent. I'm guessing you've had a different experience? I don't see a Jever profile in my copy of bru n water, is that in the sponsored version?

Offline Robert

« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2018, 11:36:29 am »
Boiled Jever is way down at the bottom in the free version. 

Since my RO is coming out at 5-7ppm TDS, down from ~255ppm, I'm going to assume that what's getting through the membrane is traces of Na and Mg mainly (~40 Na and ~15 Mg in source) and I think you're right about avoiding too much Mg.  Ignoring those, 0.5 g/gal CaSO4 and 0.2g/gal CaCl2 give the ion profile right about on the nose.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2018, 11:40:18 am »

I had thought malt contributed sufficient magnesium to water. Looking at my Bru n water spreadsheet, I see Martin has said excessive Mg can be astringent. I'm guessing you've had a different experience? I don't see a Jever profile in my copy of bru n water, is that in the sponsored version?

No, I agree that excessive Mg could be bad. That's why I'm careful to use excessive amounts.  I use the sponsored version, but I don't know if it's in the free version or not.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2018, 12:03:34 pm »
Yes, malt provides all the Mg that yeast need for their metabolism. However, including ionic Mg in the water is useful for flavor. Excessive Mg levels are often cited as over 40 ppm. I don't believe there are any recommended water profiles in Bru'n Water with more than that.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline Robert

« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2018, 01:59:12 pm »
All opinions appreciated.  Pursuit of perfect Pilsner is perpetual project! Feels good when you get to the point where tiny water adjustments are what you're concerned with, you know you're dialing it in... [yellow dry next on list, actually looks easier to nail. But I do like Jever Pils.]
Well now I've had another session with Bru'n Water and worked up almost exact plans to hit all the ions in both Jever and Yellow Dry.  What to choose? Maybe Yellow Dry FIRST, it's farther from what I've been doing, might really get me there.   Jever sort of intermediate, so if yellow goes too far, I have a fall back.  But lately I've taken to making major leaps if something's just not right as is.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline Stevie

« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2018, 03:16:28 pm »
You could do both, at least an approximation. Tailor the salts to make your mash work and then tweak in the fermentor for the flavor ions. Not perfect, but it’s something.

Offline Robert

« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2018, 04:19:23 pm »
Probably tricky to judge any flavor adjustments in the fermentor.   Anyway I've got both worked up and I'll just try them and compare finished product. Water adjustment is the one thing I don't feel is dialed in yet in my Pils -- everything else is a solid template.  Again, glad I finally got Bru'n Water.   Still can't open supported, but I'm fine with the free version!
  I think instinctively I lean toward the Jever because it has the higher sulfate/chloride but lower total mineral content. And Jever -- at least fresh, not imported in a green bottle -- is one impressive Pils.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline Stevie

« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2018, 05:09:22 pm »
You absolutely could tell the difference in the fermentor, or even in the glass. I wasn’t very clear in my suggestion. I was suggesting splitting the batch and mineralize each fermentor to approximate the two profiles.

Offline Robert

« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2018, 05:31:30 pm »
You absolutely could tell the difference in the fermentor, or even in the glass. I wasn’t very clear in my suggestion. I was suggesting splitting the batch and mineralize each fermentor to approximate the two profiles.
That makes more sense!  But I'd rather try profiles sequentially to keep batches intact (and everything simpler.)  Besides, it'll keep this process going, and frankly, if I ever DO make the perfect Pils,  whatever will I do with the rest of my life? ;)
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline Robert

« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2018, 11:47:38 am »
So, just got it in the settling tank.  Went with the Jever profile, really close on everything.   I can really taste the difference in the chilled wort from last batch with just CaCl2 and acid.   Flavors (especially malt but also hops) seem to have less intensity but more complexity.  Obviously  there are synergies with all the various minerals that are outside my understanding.  This will have lower chloride than just about anything I've done.  I can tell this is going to be clean and crisp --  what I've been missing!  Next time maybe Yellow Dry for comparison.

Oh yeah -- predicted pH 5.4, actual 5.3, surprising to me because Weyermann Pilsner is usually high. (I entered the stated color of 1.9.)  Is this within the expected range of predictability?
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline curtdogg

• Brewer
  • Learning everyday
« Reply #29 on: October 16, 2018, 06:28:35 am »
All I want for Christmas is a web based brun water app
+1
Downloaded it once, tried to open it in Excel app, won't run, decided maybe brewing gods are smiling on my never having used software.  But I'd give it a try!
Having the same issue. Finally got excel on my PC, down loaded free copy of Brunwater but excel won't let me edit the spreadsheet. If I click "edit anyway"  the sheet goes blank.
Mabrungard

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Sweet home of the Beer Lords.