Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Chimey Red  (Read 2059 times)

Offline hopaddicted

• Assistant Brewer
Chimey Red
« on: August 06, 2010, 08:43:05 pm »
My New Year's Resolution this year was to better appreciate Belgians. I was a stout guy and found Belgians too sweet and spicy/fruity.

Well after starting the year off brewing two Belgians and taking advantage of Ommegang not far from me, I was really able to appreciate Chimey. Though it sure hurt at the register, what a beer! My daughter was born three weeks ago and has spent more than half of her life in the hospital so far. After a six day hospital stay to start her life out, we were able to take her home for 9 days before taking her back for another six days. Just prior to the 2nd trip to the hospital, my father and brother sent me Brew Like a Monk and Farmhouse Ales. BLAM was great and I spent six days salivating thinking about great Belgians while I pushed through a mediocre 6 pack of Dundee Oktoberfest. Well after bringing my precious daughter back to my SIL's today I cracked open a Chimay Red. What a worthy brew! Starts with that majestic Belgian pour, huge head that doesn't seem to budge. All good things to those who wait. Such complexity and character. Great malty flavor without being at all cloying. So smooth, the esters from the yeast just draw you in until you get to the disappointing bottom of the glass and are left begging for more. I just wish I had another beer drinker to share one with (wife's family doesn't drink).
Primary: Lambic
Secondary: Oktoberfest, German Pilsner, Double IPA,
In Bottles: Lucknow IPA clone, Rough Rider Brown Ale clone,
John Harvard Imperial Stout clone, Hoppy Amber, Witch's Brew (Habanero and Smoked Corn Small Ale), Porter, Dunkleweizen, Dry Stout, Irish Red Ale, American Maple Wheat Ale, Black Wit, Belgian style Wit, Belgian Golden Strong Ale
Kegged: IPA, Saison, Hoppy Brown Ale

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Re: Chimey Red
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2010, 11:49:41 pm »
Great to hear of your daughter's return from the hospital. Often neonates' have scary health issues. I hope you are blessed in the future.

Love Chimay. I remember when it was $6 a bottle. Now the Red is $14. The mouth feel is what get's me. Not syrupy at all but somehow achieving the opposite without being watery weak or thin. It varies a bit from bottle to bottle, but that's not a fault for Chimay IMO.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline glitterbug

• Assistant Brewer
  • dallas, tx
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2010, 12:01:42 pm »
Chimay red is good but Westmalle Dubbel is fantastic. Highly recommended.
A witty saying proves nothing - Voltaire

Offline hopaddicted

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2010, 01:20:15 pm »
I've been on the road for most of the past two months. Dying to get back to my local beer shop. They have a great selection of Belgians.
Primary: Lambic
Secondary: Oktoberfest, German Pilsner, Double IPA,
In Bottles: Lucknow IPA clone, Rough Rider Brown Ale clone,
John Harvard Imperial Stout clone, Hoppy Amber, Witch's Brew (Habanero and Smoked Corn Small Ale), Porter, Dunkleweizen, Dry Stout, Irish Red Ale, American Maple Wheat Ale, Black Wit, Belgian style Wit, Belgian Golden Strong Ale
Kegged: IPA, Saison, Hoppy Brown Ale

Offline madscientist

• Brewer
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2010, 10:05:02 am »
Absouletely love Chimey red.  I haven't bought any in a while... Perhaps I should.
Homebrewed since 2010