Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Bottling: Adding additional priming sugar?  (Read 1121 times)

Offline Javaslinger

• 1st Kit
Bottling: Adding additional priming sugar?
« on: January 08, 2018, 08:32:38 am »
Has anyone attempted to add more priming sugar to a bottle say a few weeks after the fact? I know this can be done by cooling the bottle and adding the sugar in solution. In fact I did it by dissolving 1/4 tsp per ml for a total of 2 tsp in 8ml of water and burst heating it in the microwave to sterilize.  I then added 1 ml to each bottle.  It went fine and did not add an appreciable volume. 

I'm wondering how effective it is and how long it takes to carbonate the additional sugar?  Will there be any issues going this route?

Obviously I'm doing this because I didn't add enough to begin with due to a calculation error.

Offline Pope of Dope

• Assistant Brewer
  • Gozer is a hoser.
Re: Bottling: Adding additional priming sugar?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2018, 12:25:29 am »
Never done this, the issues are obvious, too much sugar added and contamination.  Aside from this it seems like it should work.
Generally you don't see that kind of behavior in a major appliance.

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
Re: Bottling: Adding additional priming sugar?
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2018, 05:36:14 am »
I've done this on rare occasion.  However I used about 1/2 teaspoon of sugar per bottle.  I wonder if maybe you didn't use enough to have any effect, since the act of popping the bottles open releases much of the existing CO2 right off the bat.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.