Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: AHA Tuesday Quiz questions  (Read 4149 times)

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: AHA Tuesday Quiz questions
« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2018, 07:40:57 pm »
The difference is that the authoritarian thing is far more obvious with the BJCP.
The lack of sound technical information from the AHA is why I allowed my membership to lapse. All this is a great example of that.

Yes, the AHA's purpose is to further brewing, not be a technical authority on brewing. However, allowing misinformation to be regularly broadcast from their platform will only tarnish their reputation and hinder their efforts to serve out hobby. Fake news, anyone?

The AHA doesn't need to be Seibel, or Kunze, or even Ron. (Though the BJCP ought to at least LOOK at his blog...) They SHOULD at least have the in-house knowledge to sort fact from fiction.

Ron Pattinson is listed under “Review and Commentary” in the 2015 Guidelines.  He was involved at some level to get that call out.
https://www.bjcp.org/docs/2015_Guidelines_Beer.pdf

Fake news indeed.

I stand corrected. I'll admit I haven't really done a deep dive into the 2015 guidelines.
Deep dive not needed, his name is on the title page; but a look at the Scottish ale section suggests his voice was clearly heard.
As to authoritarianism,  that's part and parcel of style guidelines.  Which I believe are antithetical to everything true and good about brewing, but that's another matter.  AHA shouldn't be authoritarian, but a reliable clearinghouse of info so we can better do our own thing.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2018, 07:43:22 pm »
the authoritarian thing is far more obvious with the BJCP.

Uh yeah.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #32 on: January 12, 2018, 09:11:25 am »
Not here to defend the BJCP on any specific style guideline, but the amount of work collectively done by those listed in the credits is commendable.  Old information and myths persist, unfortunately.  Since the BJCP is inherently geared toward competition, there will be some authoritarian strokes in the style guidelines.  I don't have a problem with that and if you want to stray from the guidelines for a particular style, there are styles for those "strayings", you just have to fit the right one and be a bit descriptive.  I stray all over the place and treat it like the hobby that it is, generally, in my typical brewing - but if I enter a competition with a particular style that is relatively concrete, I accept that as the constraints in which I should enter my beer.  I then sit back and welcome the comments, knowing that the judges are giving me an honest assessment within their limitations (and some are really good, some are not so thorough, and some are pompous and presumptuous - like every other avenue of life).

Just sayin....and I don't deny that I have had disagreements in situations where reasonable minds may differ and we end up agreeing to disagree.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline Robert

« Reply #33 on: January 12, 2018, 03:46:56 pm »
Here we go again.  Just read an article on Irish red ale in the current Zymurgy.  It tells us that while both Irish and Scottish ales get their color and a bit of flavor from roast barley, Scottish are distinguished by long boils to caramelize the wort and, of course, a touch of smoky flavor.  Hope Ron has quit reading it again, think I will too.  I recently rejoined AHA on the assumption that it must by now have become something worth supporting for the promotion of the hobby.  But so many recent articles could have come right out of an early 90s issue.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #34 on: January 12, 2018, 04:16:49 pm »
I like to just put the peet moss right in the glass. In my imagination, thats how they did it.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 04:19:26 pm by klickitat jim »

Offline Robert

« Reply #35 on: January 12, 2018, 04:46:31 pm »
I like to just put the peet moss right in the glangular ass. In my imagination, thats how they did it.
That's it isn't it?  "Well I imagine the old timers probably did such and such..." Why bother with research?
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #36 on: January 12, 2018, 05:17:08 pm »
Something went awry when you quoted my post...

Offline Robert

« Reply #37 on: January 12, 2018, 05:21:56 pm »
Something went awry when you quoted my post...
Sure did -- where the heck did that come from? Has a nice ring to it though.   I'm literally having trouble typing this through tears of laughter.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio