Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Proane regulator problem?  (Read 1295 times)

Offline mainebrewer

• Brewmaster
Proane regulator problem?
« on: December 02, 2017, 05:39:03 am »
I was planning on brewing this AM.
However, when I started the propane burner I got a very low flame. Like the tank was almost our of gas.
The tank did have gas in it but I switched to a full tank.
Now the burner won't lite at all.
I disconnected the regulator from the hose that goes to the burner and then attached the regulator to the tank.
Turned on the gas, no gas is coming out of the regulator.
I assume that's not normal.
Can I assume that the regulator is bad?
Weird, it worked OK two weeks ago.
"It's not that people are ignorant, it's just that they know so much that just isn't true." Ronald Reagan

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Proane regulator problem?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2017, 07:37:45 am »
Sounds like you may tripped the safety mech in the regulator. Turn everything off, wait 15 min, crack open the cylinder valve, wait 10 sec, slowly open the cylinder valve completely, open regulator and light.

Second guess, too cold.

Offline mainebrewer

• Brewmaster
Re: Proane regulator problem?
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2017, 10:00:46 am »
Sounds like you may tripped the safety mech in the regulator. Turn everything off, wait 15 min, crack open the cylinder valve, wait 10 sec, slowly open the cylinder valve completely, open regulator and light.

Second guess, too cold.
Thanks for the tip. I've heard of this happening but never had it happed to me.
I followed your suggestion and everything worked as it should.

I knew it wasn't too cold since I've successfully used this setup at temps in the teens and it was only 30 degrees this AM.
"It's not that people are ignorant, it's just that they know so much that just isn't true." Ronald Reagan

Offline mainebrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2017, 02:14:57 pm »
Update:
Well, after much messing around and either not getting any flame or more than about 50% heat out of my burner, I replaced the regulator.
Problem solved.

Offline mainebrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2018, 04:31:07 am »
Another update:
The regulator I purchased locally was preset for .5 PSI.
While it worked, the Hurricane burner didn't run at "full speed" since the original regulator was preset for 1 PSI.
Anyway, long story short, I contacted the folks who make/sell the burner about getting the correct regulator.
Unknown to me the Hurricane burner I purchased several years ago has a life time warranty and they are sending me a new regulator at no cost!
I am impressed.