Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Wishful thinking  (Read 1653 times)

Offline norfair86

• 1st Kit
Wishful thinking
« on: January 15, 2018, 10:57:49 am »
Ever since I started homebrewing, whenever I make oatmeal, I feel like I’m mashing in for a second, then get disappointed it’s only food! Anyone else get feelings like that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
Re: Wishful thinking
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2018, 11:11:26 am »
Interesting thought.

I just realized that any of us could actually mash in our bowl if we added some crushed pils or pale malt to supply some enzymes. That could be tasty.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2018, 01:10:36 pm »
Interesting thought.

I just realized that any of us could actually mash in our bowl if we added some crushed pils or pale malt to supply some enzymes. That could be tasty.

You'd probably want to sift out the husk!  A cheap homemade version of the diastatic malt powder sold through bread baking supply sites.  I guess you'd want to "mash in" around 150°-160°F and just let it sit until the oats soften up to normal consistency? I'm intrigued.  And hungry.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2018, 03:24:49 pm »
I did a cereal decoction mash with some corn for a Classic American Pils and the residue in the pot tasted delicious, although it was a bit stick-to-your-teeth husky.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline Robert

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2018, 03:33:05 pm »
Yeah, husks are not nice.  I tried a spent grain sourdough bread once (made it up as I went.)  Discovered that if you want to do this, you would need to puree the mash, or better, dehydrate it and grind it into flour.  That was nasty bread (just the texture, not the taste!) I had hoped the husks would soften somehow....
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline Visor

• Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2018, 03:39:25 pm »
   The trick to treberbrot is to completely dry the grain, then grind it REALLY fine, flour consistency if possible. I've already burned up one blender, need to find a grinder that'll do the job.
I spent most of my money on beer, tools and guns, the rest I foolishly squandered on stupid stuff!

Offline Robert

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2018, 03:44:15 pm »
   The trick to treberbrot is to completely dry the grain, then grind it REALLY fine, flour consistency if possible. I've already burned up one blender, need to find a grinder that'll do the job.
I've been thinking about getting a flour mill. The Komo models are really expensive, but I might try the Mock Mill, essentially the same works (same designer) but runs off the accessory drive on a mixer.  Check it out on Breadtopia.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2018, 06:16:03 pm »
Ha! Yes I have thought that before. OTOH I brew almost 10 times a week so no wishful thinking there.

Offline Visor

• Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2018, 09:48:45 am »
Ha! Yes I have thought that before. OTOH I brew almost 10 times a week so no wishful thinking there.
   Is it still fun, now that it is a J.O.B.? Perhaps less fun but still rewarding?
I spent most of my money on beer, tools and guns, the rest I foolishly squandered on stupid stuff!