Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: How to dipose of the red oxygen tanks?  (Read 17888 times)

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
Re: How to dipose of the red oxygen tanks?
« Reply #30 on: September 05, 2018, 05:05:45 am »
Used to compost my grains and hop cones when I still had the old family property in the country.  Grew hops there, and mulched them with the compost.  Thought that was poetic.  Since I had to sell that property, and I just live in a little place in the city, I have to put that stuff in the trash too.  My only other option is to dry some of the grain and make Treberbrot, but how much can I eat?!  I do feel bad throwing it out.

I spread my spent grains and hops on my yard.  At the end of my brew day I put all the grains and hops in a bucket and mix them so the hops aren't in clumps.  Then I just take my big spoon and broadcast them across the grass.  As long as they don't up in piles there's no odor issues.

Not quite compost but not trash either.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline coolman26

• Brewmaster
« Reply #31 on: September 05, 2018, 05:01:51 pm »
I cut them in half and add to the scrap pile.
I recycle everything I possibly can. I will add that I heard that only 15% actually is recycled. I’m not sure how accurate that statement is. It came from the guy at the recycle mobile unit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jeff B

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #32 on: September 05, 2018, 05:30:42 pm »
I cut them in half and add to the scrap pile.
I recycle everything I possibly can. I will add that I heard that only 15% actually is recycled. I’m not sure how accurate that statement is. It came from the guy at the recycle mobile unit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's the ticket!  The commercial scrapyard is probably your best bet.  Then you know it will actually get recycled, and no jumping through hoops.  In fact, if I put anything metal on the curb when I put the trash out, it's usually gone in half an hour.  Scrappers follow the weekly trash schedule and make the neighborhood rounds loading up their pickup trucks, providing a convenient service the authorities fail miseably at! 
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #33 on: September 05, 2018, 05:57:47 pm »
Duct tape them all together and leave them in front of the post office. Give the FBI something to do

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #34 on: September 05, 2018, 06:05:11 pm »
Duct tape them all together and leave them in front of the post office. Give the FBI something to do
😂
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline James K

• Brewer
  • Flagstaff, AZ
« Reply #35 on: September 05, 2018, 10:58:32 pm »
Used to compost my grains and hop cones when I still had the old family property in the country.  Grew hops there, and mulched them with the compost.  Thought that was poetic.  Since I had to sell that property, and I just live in a little place in the city, I have to put that stuff in the trash too.  My only other option is to dry some of the grain and make Treberbrot, but how much can I eat?!  I do feel bad throwing it out.

I spread my spent grains and hops on my yard.  At the end of my brew day I put all the grains and hops in a bucket and mix them so the hops aren't in clumps.  Then I just take my big spoon and broadcast them across the grass.  As long as they don't up in piles there's no odor issues.

Not quite compost but not trash either.

Paul

I used to compost that stuff until my compost turned into a bunch of grain, not as many hops. I also tried making dog treats but I only used like two cups of grain which is maybe a half pound of spent grain.

I’ve been meaning to try and trade eggs from my neighbor who has chickens.
Vice President of Flagstaff Mountain-Top Mashers
2017 Homebrewer of the year
"One mouth doesn't taste the beer."