Author Topic: Short journey  (Read 211 times)

Offline jkirkham

• Brewer
    • View Profile
Short journey
« on: January 10, 2018, 11:17:14 PM »
Hello,

My name is James and I bought my first kit back in 2006 when I was 21. I didn’t really make a lot of beer then, was more interested in drinking different beers than macros.
In 2014ish I started getting back into Brewing. More and more breweries were coming around. I joined a homebrew club which I am now the Vice President of, I won homebrewer of the year last year.

Brewing is my fun hobby and so is drinking. My dog helps be brew too. When I was in college a wrote a thesis on craft breweries. You can find it online if you google beer and my name. An organizational analysis. I do not know too much about the technicals of beer. But I am learning. I recently finished John palmers book. I have a ciecerone beer server certification and should take my BJCPStyles exam.

Anyways, I’m here to ask questions and chime in with my experiences. I use a three tier gravity system that was the old pilot system of a brewery where I live. I make 5 gallon batches, use a keggel for my hot water tanks, a rectangular cooler for my mash tun, and an 8 gallon pot for my boil. I crash with a 50’ copper wort chiller and use a hop spider. Most the beers I make I keg, and then put in an extra refrigerator that has 3 taps and room for 3 kegs and one fermentation vessel. I also do warm fermentation’s on temp control.
 I feel like 18 months ago I wasn’t Brewing at the consistentcy at which I am now, obv. Because I brew about every 3 weeks.

Many people just gave me equipment and helped me out. My favorite beers to make are Saisons

Anyways, cheers.
James
Vice President
Flagstaff Mountain-Top Mashers
2017 Homebrewer of the year

Offline el_capitan

• Brewer
    • View Profile
Re: Short journey
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2018, 04:11:27 AM »
I've benefited from equipment shares along the way too - that's how I got started in brewing, and later in kegging.  Homebrewers tend to be pretty open, sharing people.  Welcome to the board, James!  Enjoy the journey.