Author Topic: New to forum, not new to home brewing  (Read 313 times)

Offline Uvolnit

• Cellarman
    • View Profile
New to forum, not new to home brewing
« on: January 11, 2018, 06:01:50 AM »
Hello,
My name is Joe, I live in Longmont, CO and have been home brewing for just over 1 year now.  I've brewed 1, 5 gallon extract brew per month so far and am loving it.  I am a huge IPA and German style fan so that's most of what I've brewed.  Although I've brewed a Kolsch and Oktoberfest I did not lager it but rather used a Kolsch and/or Oktoberfest yeast strain and fermented at usually an ale temperature so they were more of a mock-style but turned out amazing.
I made a home brew "brewery" name of Uvolnit Brewing of which I made a Facebook page to update each brew to get friend's opinions and also upload each of my brews to Untappd.  I would love to eventually open a brewery of the same Uvolnit name.

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • View Profile
    • Dennybrew
Re: New to forum, not new to home brewing
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2018, 05:47:24 PM »
Hi Joe!  Welcome to the forum!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Robert

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2018, 06:54:15 PM »
Hey Joe, welcome, and -- Uvolnit? Must be a good story there, I'll bite.
Rob
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline Uvolnit

• Cellarman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2018, 03:31:02 AM »

Uvolnit is the Czech word for "relax".  I am 4th generation Slovak to the USA and wanted to capture that.  I also have a hard time relaxing from life and beer is one of those things, or about the only thing, that can be enjoyed by a group of friends or by yourself in order to relax and unwind.
It took me a while to find the right word to use and one that was not used for a brewery already, according to simple Google searches.

Offline Robert

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2018, 03:53:47 AM »

Uvolnit is the Czech word for "relax".  I am 4th generation Slovak to the USA and wanted to capture that.  I also have a hard time relaxing from life and beer is one of those things, or about the only thing, that can be enjoyed by a group of friends or by yourself in order to relax and unwind.
It took me a while to find the right word to use and one that was not used for a brewery already, according to simple Google searches.
That is cool!  Sounds like my own thinking.  I live in Akron (from the Greek for "summit" or "mountaintop,") seat of Summit (Latin version)  County. I'm second generation German (Dad was youngest child, first born here) and I brew pretty much German style beers.  So I chose for my homebrewery "Gipfel" --  German for "summit," "mountaintop" --  and if my fantasy of going pro ever plays out, I checked,  and it is an abandoned trademark! Nothing like tying your own passion to both your heritage and your present and future.

P.S. We got the Summit bit from the fact that we're on the continental divide less well known than the one near you.  It's the glacial terminal moraine,  where  water either flows north to the Great Lakes or south to the Ohio and Mississippi river basins.
Rob
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline Uvolnit

• Cellarman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2018, 03:55:17 PM »
Rob, very cool idea also!  Seems like another catchy word.