Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Pelican hits a dinger again  (Read 3240 times)

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
Pelican hits a dinger again
« on: January 11, 2018, 07:39:36 pm »
Hey Denny,
We need to get one of these to Drew. I'd love to hear what he things. I think it's maybe THEE best Saison I've had yet. Everything these guys do is amazing. Even Bad Santa will make you reconsider Sasquach Beer!

Saison on gin barrels. Who'd a thunk?

Company photo... Too lazy to pick up my socks for a POV

Offline Bob357

• Brewmaster
  • Consensus means nothing to me. I am who I am.
Re: Pelican hits a dinger again
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2018, 09:55:29 pm »
I envy you Jim, you being much closer to beer heaven than we are. Our youngest daughter spent 4 years at Willamette U, and another 3 at Oregon State. She actually worked her way through her MPH at Oregon State tending bar and waiting tables at a small brew pub in Salem. During her college years we spent a lot of time on the central Oregon Coast when visiting. Pelican has some solid brews and one of the most beautiful settings of all the breweries we ever visited. Another favorite on the way back down to Newport where we usually stayed was Rusty Truck. Staying in Newport, we did some crabbing on the pier that starts in Rogue's parking lot. Always a reason to go to the nearest rest room with frequency :)

I miss those days. She now lives and works in Seattle, so I guess we'll have to find some good spots there. The only places that beat the Central Oregon coast in my book are Bend and San Diego, and that's only for the beer. What a beautiful area!

Beer is my bucket list,

Bob357
Fallon, NV

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2018, 04:59:18 am »
Saison aged in gin barrels??? I would assume that would be awesome! Hard to find though. And probably expensive. I once aged a barley wine in brandy barrels and it was the best barley wine I ever brewed for sure. But dang, hard to find brandy barrels now days that aren't under $500.

Anyway, I'd love to find that beer.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2018, 07:44:06 am »
Saison on gin barrels.

That sounds pretty damn tasty. Interesting idea.
Jon H.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2018, 08:24:20 am »
Interesting (maybe) story....Darron Welch, founder and brewmaster of Pelican, started put as a homebrewer buying kits in the same store I frequented.  I raninto him there one day and asked him why Pelican didn't brew any Belgian styles.  He went into a long rant about how he hated evrything about the style and would NEVER brew one.  Fast forward a few years...Pelican has gotten big and popular and hired other brewers.  They start making Belgian styles, and now Pelican has won more medals for Belgian styles than any other.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2018, 08:25:44 am »
Hey Denny,
We need to get one of these to Drew. I'd love to hear what he things. I think it's maybe THEE best Saison I've had yet. Everything these guys do is amazing. Even Bad Santa will make you reconsider Sasquach Beer!

Saison on gin barrels. Who'd a thunk?

Company photo... Too lazy to pick up my socks for a POV

Gin barrels make everything better IMO!  Alesong put out a Gin Baerrle Pharmhouse a year or so back.  A hoppy saison aged in gin barrels.  It was my idea of a perfect beer.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2018, 09:43:57 am »
Who puts gin into barrels to begin with anyway?  Gin is all about the botanicals and not about aging.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2018, 09:54:05 am »
Maybe the gin 'barrel' thing is just a way to get gin into beer? Probably for those botanicals!
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2018, 11:27:37 am »
Who puts gin into barrels to begin with anyway?  Gin is all about the botanicals and not about aging.

https://www.thespiritsbusiness.com/2014/07/top-10-barrel-aged-gins/

www.dennybrew.com

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2018, 12:31:14 pm »

https://www.thespiritsbusiness.com/2014/07/top-10-barrel-aged-gins/

Cool.  I am going to look for some Ransom Old Tom.
Homebrewing since 1990
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline coolman26

• Brewmaster
Pelican hits a dinger again
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2018, 05:31:55 pm »
I have to say that I had never heard of Pelican. Looked at their site and what a ridiculously awesome place. It isn’t that same feel here in the Midwest overlooking a corn field. That Saison sounds great. Thanks Jim for making me realize I need to travel to Oregon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jeff B

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2018, 06:54:05 pm »
We have been to Pelican a couple of times, stayed at the Kiwanis INn across the street, owned by the same people.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2018, 06:33:20 am »

I am going to be doing it very soon! In fact maybe next month as I am about to distill Yellowhammer's first gin. And why not put some in a barrel? ;)

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2018, 07:04:57 am »
I visited Pelican last June and I believe it was near the coast. Good stuff, but pretty much par for the Portland area.
Dan Chisholm

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2018, 07:33:35 am »

I am going to be doing it very soon! In fact maybe next month as I am about to distill Yellowhammer's first gin. And why not put some in a barrel? ;)
There was one in that link that Denny posted, Herno, that was aged for a short time in Juniper wood casks.  How cool is that?
Homebrewing since 1990
BJCP judge since 1995