Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: First sour - blowoff!  (Read 803 times)

Offline JFMBearcat

• Cellarman
First sour - blowoff!
« on: January 13, 2018, 11:19:51 am »
Hi all - brewed my first ever sour last week. A Flanders Red with Roselare 3763.

I have 2 ferm chambers side by side in my basement, which is also in the same room as my keezer, kegs, other various stuff. I do not brew down there...that's up in the garage. But I do keg etc in the same space as this sour. No open fermenters are ever down there, just fermenting beer. The empty clean fermenters are kept up in the garage. Kegs are always sealed except when kegging.

I fermented this one in a plastic Big Mouth Bubbler. I opened the door of the mini fridge and realized I had a blowoff. It popped the top off the airlock and there's a bit of a mess in the fridge. Not horrible.

My question is, what steps do I take now to ensure I'm not going to infect the rest of my stuff down there? I'm honestly afraid to even open the door because I assume the blowoff gunk will get airborne everywhere. Hope I didn't make a huge mistake. Also, is that ferm chamber ever able to ferment a non sour again after this mess? Thanks everyone.
James Miller
Cincinnati OH
Bloatarian Brewing League
BJCP B1408

Offline JFMBearcat

• Cellarman
Re: First sour - blowoff!
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2018, 11:26:30 am »
Here's a couple pictures of the setup

https://imgur.com/a/lT9m6

I can't figure out how to embed pictures.

« Last Edit: January 13, 2018, 11:32:05 am by JFMBearcat »
James Miller
Cincinnati OH
Bloatarian Brewing League
BJCP B1408

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2018, 11:45:54 am »
Theres quite a bit of wild yeast and contaminants in the air already. We haul a ton in on our malts. I'd just clean it up, and if you are freaked by it maybe spray it down with some iodophor mix.

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2018, 11:56:23 am »
Or clean up with bleach.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dan Chisholm