Author Topic: Here to learn  (Read 393 times)

Offline Belgian Samurai

• 1st Kit
  • Art is the philosophy of no definition. ~me
    • View Profile
    • Shad A Hall GALLERY
Here to learn
« on: January 13, 2018, 07:53:21 PM »
It was a dark and stormy ... time ... when I lived in central Texas and the only silver lining to that cloud was that I found a home brewer’s supply store ( Barley and Hops, Copperas Cove ) and met George. He was so patient with me when I walked in with the ingredient list for a knock-off  St. Bernardus Abt. 12. He quickly realized that I had the passion, but lacked some basic knowledge. I saw no reason why my first beer shouldn’t have been an all-grain Belgian Quad. After talking for a bit, I walked out with a LME kit and the infamous beginner’s brewing kit with the plastic 5-gallon buckets. My beer was going to be the bomb-diggity. People would come from miles around to taste my beer. That first batch failed, per brewer’s error somewhere along the way. I went back to the store to buy a second LME kit and George had compassion on me and just gave me a kit, saying: "You can’t have your first batch be a bad batch." Thanks, George!

Fast forward 4 years to 2018, I’ve since moved to rural southern Illinois and now having taught my buddy, Phil, how to brew only a mere year ago, we have over a half dozen batches under our belts and learning all the time! We moved from his garage to his screened-in porch he’s dedicated to be the brew room. (Pics: Google Photos Album; 1/2 dozen images) We’ve begun tasting all beers with a beer tasting sheet/form I found online, which has helped us immensely in deciphering what our taste buds are perceiving aiding us both in our home brews as well as appreciation and understanding when drinking commercial beers.

Our setup is pretty straight forward with kettle & turkey fryer. Perhaps one thing we customized in the process is having a submerged pond pump in an ice bath with rock salt to run through the wort chiller and a second ice bath with rock salt to set the kettle in post-boil. We’ve got our chill time down to single digit minutes on our wort @ 212F to 68F. We have moved away from bottles to kegging. This year, we’ll convert the reach-in fridge to a keezer.

Other:
I’m a mixed media fine-art artist. Link listed on my member profile. I also own a PrePacked DIY website template company called Hall of Webz. Google knows about it. ;)

Looking forward to learning a lot from everyone! Kanpai!  8)
« Last Edit: January 13, 2018, 07:56:18 PM by Belgian Samurai »
(Note: Thus far, these have been LME kits from the store. I want to be comfortable with the foundationals first.)
Recent batches: Belgian Trippel, California Steam Ale
On tap: Grapefruit IPA
In the works: pending
On the drawing board: Hard Apple Cider, Cocoa Maple Strong Dark Ale

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • View Profile
    • Dennybrew
Re: Here to learn
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2018, 09:24:20 PM »
Welcome!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Belgian Samurai

• 1st Kit
    • View Profile
    • Shad A Hall GALLERY
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2018, 01:18:16 AM »
Welcome!
Thanks, Denny! My buddy, LowBuckBrewer, just joined as well. We're working on our next brew recipe and will likely be posting questions soon.  8) 
(Note: Thus far, these have been LME kits from the store. I want to be comfortable with the foundationals first.)

Online Robert

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2018, 01:36:01 AM »
Your "(Note....)" in your signature caught my attention.  Wise! 
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline Belgian Samurai

• 1st Kit
    • View Profile
    • Shad A Hall GALLERY
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2018, 01:48:53 AM »
Thanks, Robert! :)  In addition, I also wanted to clarify the LME brew kit fact so people didn't think I was smarter than I am, especially when I start asking simple questions. lol Cheers!

Online Robert

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2018, 01:59:17 AM »
Thanks, Robert! :)  In addition, I also wanted to clarify the LME brew kit fact so people didn't think I was smarter than I am, especially when I start asking simple questions. lol Cheers!
I started brewing almost 30 years ago, and I say you're wise, because (not knowing what I was doing) I just jumped in the deep end.  Therefore I spent a long time not knowing what I was doing!  It's like scientific method, add or change one element at a time and you'll understand the result.  And you're in a good place for any questions.  I only joined the forum fairly recently, and I've learned a lot myself at my level, as well as realizing just how much I'd already learned and could share with others.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline Belgian Samurai

• 1st Kit
    • View Profile
    • Shad A Hall GALLERY
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2018, 02:12:51 AM »
I started brewing almost 30 years ago, and I say you're wise, because (not knowing what I was doing) I just jumped in the deep end.  Therefore I spent a long time not knowing what I was doing!  It's like scientific method, add or change one element at a time and you'll understand the result.  And you're in a good place for any questions.  I only joined the forum fairly recently, and I've learned a lot myself at my level, as well as realizing just how much I'd already learned and could share with others.
I wish there was a way to give a +1 to replies (as either an acknowledgement or a thumbs up). I'm gonna go have to add this to the suggestion list for new forum features. ;)

Online Robert

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2018, 02:32:44 AM »
The convention here seems to be really simple.  Just quote or ^^^^ and post "+1"! No buttons for likes and whatnot .... Admins have better things to worry about. Like making beer.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio