Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Pelican hits a dinger again  (Read 3216 times)

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
Re: Pelican hits a dinger again
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2018, 07:34:07 am »
I visited Pelican last June and I believe it was near the coast. Good stuff, but pretty much par for the Portland area.
Ya, its really near the coast.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2018, 07:56:56 am »
Who puts gin into barrels to begin with anyway?  Gin is all about the botanicals and not about aging.

I am going to be doing it very soon! In fact maybe next month as I am about to distill Yellowhammer's first gin. And why not put some in a barrel? ;)
There was one in that link that Denny posted, Herno, that was aged for a short time in Juniper wood casks.  How cool is that?

Pretty amazing! I missed that! Thought only oak and chestnut could hold liquid without major leakage though.... interesting....

Offline ethinson

• Brewmaster
  • Why is the beer always gone?
    • River Pirate Brewing Co.
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2018, 06:05:39 am »
Who puts gin into barrels to begin with anyway?  Gin is all about the botanicals and not about aging.

https://www.thespiritsbusiness.com/2014/07/top-10-barrel-aged-gins/

Cool.  I am going to look for some Ransom Old Tom.

Slightly off topic, but Gigantic makes a gin barreled IPA that uses Old Tom barrels.  I am not a fan of gin at all, but I've had two gin barrel aged beers that I've loved.  I saw the Queen of hearts at a bottle shop and almost bought it for a friend of ours.  She likes saisons and gin, so it seemed perfect.  Might have to grab it if I can still find it.

I visited Pelican last June and I believe it was near the coast. Good stuff, but pretty much par for the Portland area.

This part is true, but I don't think that's a negative.  They are keeping pace with Portland.  Pelican used to be a pilsner and Tsumani stout and that was pretty much it.  They've released a lot of new beers in the last few years or so and really expanded their repertoire. (at least as far as what has caught my attention)   Beak Breaker DIPA is really good, this years version of Bad Santa was better than years past, and these barrel aged beers are really top notch.  Even if it's just "on par" with Portland, that's pretty damn good.
SE Portland - AKA Beervana
Captain and Chief Deck Swabber - River Pirate Brewing Co.
Certified BJCP Beer Judge
2015 Oregon Brew Crew Member of the Year

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2018, 06:10:31 am »

https://www.thespiritsbusiness.com/2014/07/top-10-barrel-aged-gins/

Cool.  I am going to look for some Ransom Old Tom.

Slightly off topic, but Gigantic makes a gin barreled IPA that uses Old Tom barrels.  I am not a fan of gin at all, but I've had two gin barrel aged beers that I've loved.  I saw the Queen of hearts at a bottle shop and almost bought it for a friend of ours.  She likes saisons and gin, so it seemed perfect.  Might have to grab it if I can still find it.

This part is true, but I don't think that's a negative.  They are keeping pace with Portland.  Pelican used to be a pilsner and Tsumani stout and that was pretty much it.  They've released a lot of new beers in the last few years or so and really expanded their repertoire. (at least as far as what has caught my attention)   Beak Breaker DIPA is really good, this years version of Bad Santa was better than years past, and these barrel aged beers are really top notch.  Even if it's just "on par" with Portland, that's pretty damn good.
I meant it as the bar is raised high in the Portland area and I didn’t have any bad beers at any of the breweries that I visited. I wish that I had that kind of choice where I live.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dan Chisholm

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2018, 09:37:06 am »
Beer is no more than 50% of the reason I go to the Pelican.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2018, 10:01:09 am »
Wife wants to go somewhere, its too cold for camping on the east side, dogs love running on the beach, I could use some cheese curds and beef jerky, its not spring break, there should be a few winter steelhead in the Nestucca... But ii really don't feel like driving that far.

Oh wait, Pelican!!!! LET'S GO!!!!

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2018, 10:17:15 am »
Wife wants to go somewhere, its too cold for camping on the east side, dogs love running on the beach, I could use some cheese curds and beef jerky, its not spring break, there should be a few winter steelhead in the Nestucca... But ii really don't feel like driving that far.

Oh wait, Pelican!!!! LET'S GO!!!!

We usually stay at the Inn right across the street.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell