Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Experimental Brewing Podcast Episode 58 - Return of the Resolution  (Read 2616 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
https://www.experimentalbrew.com/podcast/episode-58-return-resolution

On this week's episode, it's fully the new years which means it time to see just what we're going to fail at this year! And we're bringing you along for the ride! But first, a Christmas Miracle, some expired LME and being mindful in the pub. In the Brewery, Denny has some questions about dried lager yeast - can you help him out? In the Lab, we get an update on the IBU test Denny's operating through. And then finally we hit the list - we talk about how "well" we did last year and what we plan to try and win at this year! You listeners also had a bunch of suggestions for resolutions, so let's see! Finally, we close out with a pair of new history podcasts from Drew and get you on your merry way!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Experimental Brewing Podcast Episode 58 - Return of the Resolution
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2018, 02:43:04 pm »
Mind blown: 34/70, S-23, and S-189 not Saccharomyces pastorianus?  Interesting. http://hefebank-weihenstephan.de/en/products/yeast/bierhefen-untergaerig-bruchhefe/w-34-70/

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: January 17, 2018, 02:54:39 pm by BrewBama »

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
Re: Experimental Brewing Podcast Episode 58 - Return of the Resolution
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2018, 05:03:44 pm »
There is so much going on now with yeast genome studies, it will take some time for the information to be disseminated.

I have seen that WLP-800, the Pilsner Urquell strain was found to be an ale strain. PU pitches that in the high 30s if the tour guide could be believed.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2018, 05:15:01 pm »
How cool would it be if, after all the studies, they discovered that there is no yeast, and fermentation is relative?

Offline Robert

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2018, 05:25:46 pm »
 I trust you'll post any updates on the whole yeast taxonomy thing here on the forum?
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2018, 10:16:50 am »
I trust you'll post any updates on the whole yeast taxonomy thing here on the forum?

Sure, after they air on the podcasts.  The head of Wyeast is looking into it.  I hope to hear from her before too long.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Robert

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2018, 10:25:24 am »

Sure, after they air on the podcasts.  The head of Wyeast is looking into it.  I hope to hear from her before too long.
Great! And I'll be watching your posts teasing the podcasts more closely.  Really have enjoyed the ones I've listened to.  On the subject, I wonder if further study will find no bright lines classifying yeast? Once it was assumed all brewing yeast was cerevisiae, just every strain behaved a little differently.  Maybe that wasn't so far off.  At any rate I guess it doesn't matter what you call it when you choose the yeast that suits your brew!
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline BrewBama

Experimental Brewing Podcast Episode 58 - Return of the Resolution
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2018, 10:33:53 am »
I received this note from Fermentis:

“Thanks for contacting Fermentis.

This is a quite new classification for lager yeasts, and the sources from where we isolated or received the strains all claimed that the three of them were true lagers. The behavior of the strains were also compatible with lager strains. However, before informing the yeasts are S. pastorianus, we decided to check by ourselves the entire genome. We have sequenced the complete genome of the strains. This project finished less than 2 months ago, and confirmed the three of them are Saccharomyces pastorianus. In addition, the three of them belongs to the Frohberg type.

We are now in the process to change all the documentation.

Thank you and have a nice day.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2018, 10:36:57 am »

This is a quite new classification for lager yeasts, and the sources from where we isolated or received the strains all claimed that the three of them were true lagers. The behavior of the strains were also compatible with lager strains. However, before informing the yeasts are S. pastorianus, we decided to check by ourselves the entire genome. We have sequenced the complete genome of the strains. This project finished less than 2 months ago, and confirmed the three of them are Saccharomyces pastorianus. In addition, the three of them belongs to the Frohberg type.

Thanks for that information.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2018, 10:43:38 am »
There is so much going on now with yeast genome studies, it will take some time for the information to be disseminated.

I have seen that WLP-800, the Pilsner Urquell strain was found to be an ale strain.

I have heard the same thing.

Denny, this episode sounds like a must-listen!

For whatever it's worth, I'd already decided that I really do not like Saf"lager" W-34/70 at any ferm temperature.  It's just not a great lager yeast, not in my experience.  It's had plenty of chances but never has impressed as well as WLP830, WLP833, Wyeast 2206, or Wyeast 2308.  It ain't the same.  I'm trying hard to find good dry yeasts, but... this one didn't cut it for me.  Soon I shall try S-189.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline Robert

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2018, 10:55:11 am »

I have seen that WLP-800, the Pilsner Urquell strain was found to be an ale strain.

For whatever it's worth, I'd already decided that I really do not like Saf"lager" W-34/70 at any ferm temperature.  It's just not a great lager yeast, not in my experience.  It's had plenty of chances but never has impressed as well as WLP830, WLP833, Wyeast 2206, or Wyeast 2308.  It ain't the same.  I'm trying hard to find good dry yeasts, but... this one didn't cut it for me.  Soon I shall try S-189.

I use W-34/70 exclusively.  The liquid yeast is indistinguishable accross suppliers (Whit Labs, Wyeast...) IME,  but the dry "34/70" is quite different, and I find it unacceptable.   I really was warming to the idea of a dry yeast that would be a viable alternative source, but no go.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2018, 11:40:48 am »

Dave, EVERY episode is a must listen!   ;)

My experience with 34/70 seems very different than yours.  I think it's a great lager yeast.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2018, 11:42:24 am »

Thanks yo so much for that!

www.dennybrew.com

The Beerery

« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2018, 12:49:53 pm »

I use W-34/70 exclusively.  The liquid yeast is indistinguishable accross suppliers (Whit Labs, Wyeast...) IME,  but the dry "34/70" is quite different, and I find it unacceptable.   I really was warming to the idea of a dry yeast that would be a viable alternative source, but no go.

Can I get an amen!  I almost got stoned to death when I expressed my utter hatred of the dry type here.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2018, 01:02:49 pm »
Can I get an amen!  I almost got stoned to death when I expressed my utter hatred of the dry type here.

I believe we're all allowed our own opinions.  Too bad people couldn't deal with your opinion of the yeast.

www.dennybrew.com