Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: black and tan question  (Read 5453 times)

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: black and tan question
« Reply #30 on: January 07, 2018, 06:31:19 pm »
I have no problem at all with the Yuenglings.  Just hard to imagine improving on anything Sam Smith, especially their dark beers!  Hey, if my original assumption is in fact correct, that nitro makes the separation possible, then a whole new category opens up: some conventional dark beer on the bottom and a nitro pale on top...wonder what a good combination would be?

That's what I'm wondering. My wife enjoys the Guinness nitro IPA, and another good combination we discovered in this testing was stout and IPA. Should be a good combo, though Guinness has more a British IPA than an American Craft one. (Also not a problem.)

Two newish styles I've tried to ignore/considered sure signs of the craft beer apocalypse are Nitro White Ale (Sam Adams) and the various "pastry stouts."  But maybe an upside down dessert black and tan?
« Last Edit: January 07, 2018, 06:38:00 pm by Robert »
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline zwiller

• Brewmaster
« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2018, 03:32:50 pm »
Who cares how it is done... It's for show.  ;D  Real black and tans are mixed.  I did them a long time and came to prefer Murphy's and german lager like Beck's.  Long overdue to fool with snakebites made with stout.
Sam
Sandusky, OH

Offline Robert

« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2018, 03:43:02 pm »
Who cares how it is done... It's for show.  ;D  Real black and tans are mixed.  I did them a long time and came to prefer Murphy's and german lager like Beck's.  Long overdue to fool with snakebites made with stout.
I thought a snakebite was by definition with stout?  Takes me back 30 years, hadn't thought about it in a long time but I used to enjoy those!
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline zwiller

• Brewmaster
« Reply #33 on: January 19, 2018, 07:41:39 am »
Not heard that one but not surprised either.  Before the craft movement alot folks here called any dark beer bock beer.  Traditional snakebite is half cider half beer.  There is also a stout cider variant that sometimes would have a shot of blackberry liquor too. 
Sam
Sandusky, OH

Offline Robert

« Reply #34 on: January 19, 2018, 08:32:28 am »
Not heard that one but not surprised either.  Before the craft movement alot folks here called any dark beer bock beer.  Traditional snakebite is half cider half beer.  There is also a stout cider variant that sometimes would have a shot of blackberry liquor too.
Ah.  Looked in the Bartenders Bible, you're right.  Any beer + cider = snakebite.  I misrecollected. Now I recollect, the drink I was thinking of (introduced to it in England) is Guinness + cider = "Poor Man's Black Velvet."  (Proper BV uses Champagne.) Memory's getting clearer.  I think over the pond snakebite was almost always lager. Anyway PMBV was a popular "last order" at the pub.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline zwiller

• Brewmaster
« Reply #35 on: January 19, 2018, 09:08:03 am »
Apparently, these type of drinks are some what regulated over there since the younger folks tend to overdo it... PMBV sounds pretty good.  I think these names are pretty funny and interesting.  It all started when I read of narfer narfer narf.   
Sam
Sandusky, OH

Offline kpfoleyjr

• Cellarman
« Reply #36 on: January 19, 2018, 10:36:23 am »
I have seen a devise that sits on top of the glass to pour the stout onto the bitter. It looks like a turtle, and I found this, https://www.uncommongoods.com/product/beer-layering-tool. Looks like a good Christmas gift.    I found the turtle at morebeer,https://www.morebeer.com/products/lagerhead-black-tan-turtle.

I have one of those (The Perfect Black + Tan, if you want to Google it) and bought two more as Christmas gifts.  All work fairly well - depends on what beers you use.  Takes out some of the skill and fun though.  Instructions and several beer combinations, like Black & Blue (Moon) come with it.  It has recipes for more than two layers too - I think of it as more of a novelty or party trick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Robert

« Reply #37 on: January 19, 2018, 07:27:48 pm »
Ah.  Looked in the Bartenders Bible, you're right.  Any beer + cider = snakebite.  I misrecollected. Now I recollect, the drink I was thinking of (introduced to it in England) is Guinness + cider = "Poor Man's Black Velvet."  (Proper BV uses Champagne.) Memory's getting clearer.  I think over the pond snakebite was almost always lager. Anyway PMBV was a popular "last order" at the pub.
Apparently, these type of drinks are some what regulated over there since the younger folks tend to overdo it... PMBV sounds pretty good.  I think these names are pretty funny and interesting.  It all started when I read of narfer narfer narf.   
Well, I was younger folks 30 years ago, and the drinks were not yet regulated.  Pub opening hours, OTOH, were still quite restricted.   According to popular belief the PMBV was somehow capable of providing exponentially greater intoxicating effect than its mere abv would suggest, hence its popularity (amongst the younger folk) as a "last order" when the pub had to shut. It's still a tasty drink though,  and if you want the classic, 1980s every-pub version, it's Guinness and Strongbow Dry Cider (both draught if possible.)
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio