Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Millennials are murderers and Reporters are lazy  (Read 1720 times)

Offline Wilbur

• Brewmaster
Millennials are murderers and Reporters are lazy
« on: January 26, 2018, 08:35:31 am »
http://www.businessinsider.com/millennials-drag-down-budweiser-beer-sales-2018-1

One of my biggest peeves of the year is this trend to proclaim, "Millennials are killing _________", insert random declining, crappy business. Whether it's Budweiser, Applebees, TGIF, car sales, etc. Don't fail to change to your business model, push a crappy product, or fail to recognize that economic conditions are changing and blame it on
"Millennials". Do a little research, and find out if there's a legit reason before you blame it on cultural changes. For example: wage growth has been down the last few years, so people may not be buying new cars, or dining out at Applebees.

Other pet peeve: Lazy, clickbait article titles. "How a small bird took over a delta flight", "Millennials are killing _____", etc.

Anyway, I'd like to propose new headlines to remedy this:
"How coked up stock brokers built a Beer king"-Lazy, clickbait version
"Applebee's: No one wants your sugary $10 cocktails"
"Plane delayed: Yawn"
"Everyone hates bureaucratic corporate structures"

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
Re: Millennials are murderers and Reporters are lazy
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2018, 09:22:50 am »
I know what the real problem is:

You actually read news articles, and actually care about the quality of content.

Let it go, and all the negativity disappears like magic.  Ahh...................................
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline Visor

• Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2018, 09:40:36 am »
   I considered posting about this when I first read it a few days ago, my take was more that carbonated beer colored water has replaced real beer [yes BudMillerCoors original beers are real beer, like them or not] for the top 3 spots in sales. This in the era of craft and crafty beer. Go figure.
   I have long suspected that many of the people drinking beer, especially light beers, aren't really all that fond of beer, they drink it largely cuz what else is there for them to drink, and because advertising & peer pressure offer lots of reasons to drink the stuff that has the highest markup for the manufacturer.
   Interestingly, Corona was #5 on the list, IIRC. Advertising and peer pressure again, maybe.
   As for the millennials being the proximate cause of Bud's descent from it's former throne, one could just as easily make the argument that it is more the result of the large number of my geezer generation who have substantially reduced their beer consumption, or in many cases completely given up drinking beer altogether. No king reigns forever.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2018, 10:00:58 am by Visor »
I spent most of my money on beer, tools and guns, the rest I foolishly squandered on stupid stuff!

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2018, 02:48:55 pm »
While I know plenty of Millennials who love beer we have added spirits this year to our portfolio to keep our bases covered.

Offline Visor

• Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2018, 09:42:45 am »
   Different regions, different realities. Off the top of my head, with the exception of Melvin and Uinta, I can't recall a taproom I've visited that sold only beer. Around here that would be a guarantee of quick failure. I wonder how many even states offer beer only licenses.
I spent most of my money on beer, tools and guns, the rest I foolishly squandered on stupid stuff!

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2018, 09:57:50 am »
   Different regions, different realities. Off the top of my head, with the exception of Melvin and Uinta, I can't recall a taproom I've visited that sold only beer. Around here that would be a guarantee of quick failure. I wonder how many even states offer beer only licenses.

Same here.  If the pub doesn't have it's own kitchen, they at least have a food truck or two.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2018, 10:44:12 am »

I believe it is the norm rather than the exception for state licenses to permit beer sales without food sales.

However, it's a pretty bad business model not to have food trucks show or have at least snacks on hand. Food definitely keeps people around and helps keep some of the alcohol consumption under control.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2018, 07:45:01 pm »
In NC any brewery can build a taproom with no food sales and most do. Most do have the occasional food truck.
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!